Houston Babies

Which is worse...

Sleeping in my bed or sleeping on his belly?

Grayden will only sleep in his own bed if he's a) on his belly or b) on his Boppy lounger. Otherwise he has to be held or in my bed. If he sleeps in my bed (at night) he STTN.

I'm very much against him being in my bed, on his belly and on his Boppy lounger. I don't know what to do to get him to sleep in his own bed. It doesn't matter how asleep he is when I put him in there the second I put him on his back he wakes up. I've tried swaddling him, letting him cry for a few minutes, his soother. I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Which is worse...

• Hmmm...what about the mama bear that replicates the heartbeat sounds of being in the womb?

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • Ohhhh. Does BRU or Target have those? I have a gift card for both of those places. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have no idea.  We used ours every night.  I would bet BRU has them.  I don't recall ever seeing them at Target though.

imageimage
    Pics by Fleurish Imagery
  • When he sleeps with you, how do you position him?  Is he nursed or formula-fed?  He's still such a young baby it may take a while for his sleep to smooth out.  Does he have any feeding difficulties or spitting up?  Just curious....

• imageKKMMex:

When he sleeps with you, how do you position him?  Is he nursed or formula-fed?  He's still such a young baby it may take a while for his sleep to smooth out.  Does he have any feeding difficulties or spitting up?  Just curious....

When he's in my bed he's on his back. Sometimes he'll drift a little on his side though. He's formula fed too but he doesn't have any feeding problems and has never once spit up. During the day if he falls alseep I'll put him on his lounger on his back next to me and he'll sleep for hours. And he'll sleep through the night in my bed. I know it might take a little while for him to get a routine but I'm a nervous wreck when he's in my bed or when he's on his belly in his bed. I can't get sleep because I'm afraid I'll roll over on him or he'll suffocate himself. 

• what about the side sleeper thing? Addie had to use it for spit up issues, but it might help him out. and are you swaddling him? that plus the heartbeat bear (which target has had in the past), might make him feel cozy enough to sleep.
    -Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • When I had my first baby I was super opposed to sleeping with her, but she slept so much better in bed with me.  I think those first early weeks I did sleep with her and was completely sleep deprived, because like you I was afraid I'd roll on her and smother her.  She eventually moved to her own bed and slept there from then on.

I asked about the feeding because I was wondering if maybe he had symptoms of reflux, but it doesn't sound like it from what you posted.

At such a young age I wouldn't worry too much about him developing bad sleeping habits.  But whatever you can do to get him to sleep at this stage may just be what you have to do.  The first six weeks with a new baby are unbelievably hard as far as sleep goes.  I think if I had to choose between sleeping with my baby and putting him on his belly, I'd probably choose the belly.

I'm sorry about the sleep issues!  It's a rite of passage of new motherhood and you have my deepest sympathy.

• what about putting him in a PNP in your room?  there is also a sleep positioner you can use in the crib...  I swear by the swaddle blankets.  They rock..  I have a snuggle nest if you want to borrow it..  I think we used it once for 5 minutes.  You put it in your bed and it has sides and a little night light.  You could put him in it and not have to worry about rolling on him...
  • imagebpaullo:
    what about putting him in a PNP in your room?  there is also a sleep positioner you can use in the crib...  I swear by the swaddle blankets.  They rock..  I have a snuggle nest if you want to borrow it..  I think we used it once for 5 minutes.  You put it in your bed and it has sides and a little night light.  You could put him in it and not have to worry about rolling on him...

His PNP is in our room. That's where I'm trying to get him to sleep. I'm going to try a sleep positioner, but if that doesn't work could I borrow your snuggle nest? At least I could sleep knowing I'm not going to smash him. 

• imageKimmer123:

imagebpaullo:
    what about putting him in a PNP in your room?  there is also a sleep positioner you can use in the crib...  I swear by the swaddle blankets.  They rock..  I have a snuggle nest if you want to borrow it..  I think we used it once for 5 minutes.  You put it in your bed and it has sides and a little night light.  You could put him in it and not have to worry about rolling on him...

His PNP is in our room. That's where I'm trying to get him to sleep. I'm going to try a sleep positioner, but if that doesn't work could I borrow your snuggle nest? At least I could sleep knowing I'm not going to smash him. 

sure..  we used it for about 5 minutes..  Let me know if you want it and we can meet up..  Warning... it takes up a lot of space in the bed..  we have a queen and it was just too squishy...

• you need to do whatever gets you the most sleep, worry about "bad" habits and such later on down the road, but right now, sleep is essential to your survival.

we didn't start out intending to co-sleep, but it's where Marion slept best.  I was a nervous nelly at first, so we bought the Boppy Sleep Positioner and that made a noticable difference in my comfort level because I *knew* I'd feel it if I rolled onto that thing.  I never, ever even came close to rolling on top of her.  We'd be all snuggled, but I always stayed on my side, and wasn't even aware of it.  Viula says (and it's so true) the same instinct that keeps you from rolling out of bed will keep you from rolling on to your baby.

A really nice benefit of using a sleep positioner like that is that when he gets a bit older, he'll be able to sleep anywhere as long as you have the positioner, because that becomes his bed.  Over the holidays, we slept in three different beds and Marion never had a problem going down or staying asleep because she was all snug and comfy on her little mattress (that's what my husband called it.)

He's still so little and was so snug and warm and safe inside of you that it's just going to take a little bit of time for him to get adjusted to the big world out here.

• he is really to young to worry about it- not the safety, obviously, but the bad habits. even if he developed good habits right now (like STTN) there is always a very, very high likelihood that they will change. any and all developmental pushes, not to mention teeth and illness, disrupt sleep. do what you have to now to get sleep and you really shouldn't worry about "habits" until at least the 3 mos mark.

i don't tell you this to scare you or sound like a nagative nelly. i am just saying it bc i think it's easier for moms to deal with changes when they expect them... it's always the people who are like "but my baby always sleeps... or always does that or this..." that have a tough time when they experience changes, esp unwelcomed ones.

you may also want to try a side car arrangement. this is what we did. our pnp had a bassinett that attached on the top. we pushed it up next to our bed. truitt was in his own space but right where i could put a hand on him to sooth him or grab him to nurse without actually getting out of bed...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"