Nurseries and Baby Gear

Stripes/Boxes on Walls

DH and I are thinking about doing stripes on the walls or boxes on one wall in the nursery and are wondering if anyone had any hints/tips on how to make clean lines when taping. We have read in a magazine that you can use like a clear paint to seal off the tape so paint doesn't seap underneath but that seems like an additional step we don't wait to take if at all possible. Any ideas? 

Re: Stripes/Boxes on Walls

• Are your walls textured? If not then it should be fairly easy to do it straight so long as you take your time. I did stripes in my stepson's room recently and mine came out super straight. I used a pencil and a yard stick to measure and then carefully placed the tape on the pencil lines. His walls are really textured so it was hard to get it PERFECT but it is close. When we do our nursery I think I am going to go the route of the clear paint/varnish though because I'm such a perfectionist. Are you going to do different colors or two tones or what? We are going to go with a sage green and I can't decide whether to do two tones or do a flat and a gloss or just to do clear stripes to reflect the light. I am ALL about home decorating...lol.
  • We are planning on doing three walls in a chocolate brown and one wall with boxes on it that are three different shades of pink. I am going to get samples this weekend so this might change once I see it all together. I too am a perfectionist and know that if I see one little brush stroke out of place I will go crazy. I love home decorating and can't wait to do this so we are getting excited. We will probably start next weekend!
  • Loading the player...
  • How fun! I am only 7 weeks so I'm trying to get ideas going but I don't plan on doing anything for awhile but I can't wait!!  But for real, if you don't want to do the varnish then just measure very carefully and use your pencil lines. Do the tape just to the side of it so that the paint will cover the lines. It's actually pretty easy, once you get it taped it goes much faster.
  • I did stripes in one room, and diamonds in another room, best tip I have it to tape the entire wall, then go back over the tape and do a thin coat along the tape edges with the base wall color (white or whatever color you plan on having the color under the tape be. THat way when you paint around the tape, nothing can blead through b/c the base wall color will have sealed the tape lines.

Pictures of both rooms in my bio.

• imageALP:

I did stripes in one room, and diamonds in another room, best tip I have it to tape the entire wall, then go back over the tape and do a thin coat along the tape edges with the base wall color (white or whatever color you plan on having the color under the tape be. THat way when you paint around the tape, nothing can blead through b/c the base wall color will have sealed the tape lines.

This sounds really pretty. I want to do stripes but not too many. Can I see pic of the diamonds?? Also I will like to see pictures of the BOXES that some of you are speaking of.

thanks

• imageALP:

I did stripes in one room, and diamonds in another room, best tip I have it to tape the entire wall, then go back over the tape and do a thin coat along the tape edges with the base wall color (white or whatever color you plan on having the color under the tape be. THat way when you paint around the tape, nothing can blead through b/c the base wall color will have sealed the tape lines.

Silly me...I am headed to your bio,,,,

• imageALP:

This is how we did our stripes as well, the lines turn out perfectly straight!

• There is also a new paint tape on the market, that is supposed to be better than all the rest. I saw it on DIY. It's green and Frog is in the name. You might try that.
  • Awesome! Thanks for all the advice. We are excited to do the wall of boxes and are going to get paint samples this weekend to begin planning. I will make sure to post pictures once we have some progress for all to see.
  • Ditto Brandoonie. Frog Tape works amazingly well. It's more expensive, but as long as you press down hard it's much better than reg. painters tape.
  • imageALP:

Love them both!! You did a GREAT job!!!!

Also...I can't wait to try that FROG tape. Thanks y'all!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"