Breastfeeding

Talk to me about donating BM

Do you donate your breast milk? If so, where? What was the process? How does it work? Do you pump into bags provided then freeze or refridgerate? How does it get to the infant using it? Do you deliver? Do they pick up? Does it cost you anything? What kind of screening do they do? How much do you donate? Is it regular or a one-time thing? Is the milk bank in your area, or did you sign up via phone or online and ship?

It seems so interesting.

Re: Talk to me about donating BM

• Your best bet would be to call the local hospital and ask to speak w/the lactation nurse on staff. If they don't have one ask for the OB dept. I don't know much about it, but sounds interesting. Good Luck
  • I donate mine to the Mother's Milk Bank of Ohio. Here's the link to the national site - https://www.hmbana.org/ - you can find your state site from there or by googling mother's milk bank (your state).

The milk banks have drop-off locations located throughout the state. For mine, they give me plastic 4oz containers to put my milk in. I take 300oz worth at a time and then drop it all off at once and get new containers. It doesn't cost me anything to be a donor. They do a lifestyle screening that asks you about medications, alcohol usage, drugs, etc. If you pass that (and the requirements really aren't as strict as I thought they would be) then they do a blood test. My bank takes one-time donors but they have a minimum of 100oz. I'm a more regular donor because I have so much extra.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • i donate to a local mom i found through milkshare.org

i worked out all the details with the mom i donate to. i just email her whenever my deep freezer is full and she comes over and i give her as much as i want...usually about half the deep freeze. i've done it 2 times so far and she is coming over again today!

• Oh, I freeze the containers and the milk bank decides where the milk ends up going. If there isn't a milk bank near you they do have shipping donors, but I don't know a lot about how that works.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Exactly ditto to jersey- but i donate in PA. same agency though.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Go to milkshare.com there are so many people who need milk for their preemies or babies with allergies to formula and can't afford to buy it from a milk bank. I packed my frozen milk bags in a cooler and we met at a restaurant. It was nice to be able to meet her and the babies I was donating to.
  • It is so hard to donate breastmilk in Canada. We only have 1 breastmilk bank here, and it is over 500 miles away. They also won't pay for the milk to be shipped, and it is so expensive to ship. I emailed milkshare to see if they have any local Canadians looking for milk, or would want me to ship it to someone that would want to pay for the shipping. So hopefully.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"