Washington Babies
Options

Comfort sucking?

Connor nursed 16 times yesterday for 25-40 minutes.  It *might* be a growth spurt but is it also possible that he wants to suck for comfort?  And most of that was during the day.

At night he nurses for 15 minutes every 3 hours, so I know that:

1) he can drain the breast in 15 minutes

2) his tummy is big enough to hold 3 hours worth of milk.

So most of those 16 feedings were during the day, back to back to back.  Tongue Tied

Is there a way to tell between eating and comfort nursing?  After 20 minutes, I rarely hear the swallow "click."

The reason I ask is that my left nipple is still healing slowly.  I don't want to starve the baby, but if I could snuggle him on my chest with a pacifier after 20 minutes of feeding on the left I would so do that.

Re: Comfort sucking?

• Options
    One of the babies in my PEPS group did this.  The LC suggested that once you stop hearing the swallowing noises that it's comfort sucking.  The mom was successful in replacing her nipple with a paci.  Can you try that?
  • Options
    DD did/does this occasionally. I can tell when shes not eating and just sucking for the sake of the sucking and I'll give her the binky, cuddle up and shes fine. She will usually take a little nap in my arms too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think my DD did this. All I remember was she was stuck to my boob all day, spit up horrible amounts of milk, and then want to nurse again. I gave her a paci, and she stoped.

Don't be afraid of the paci, DD self weened at 9 months old, from her paci.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I could have written this post!   My DS is all about the comfort sucking,  I read that the quicker sucking is comfort sucking where as the slower sucking with the clicks is actually eating.   I try not to give my little guy the paci too much becuase it makes me sad for some reason, but I also try and comfort him other ways besides just putting him on the boob.
  • Options
    Listen for swallowing... if she's stopped swallowing, take her off and burp her and see if you can get her to sleep or look at you or some other "activity"... or pop a paci in her mouth.   She's only 2 or 3 weeks old right?  There's a pretty big growth spurt around this time, so I might just let it go for a couple of days to see if that's it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"