3rd Trimester

I am mortified to ask this question... no flames please...

because I'm desperate.

If I did, in fact, decide to pump to try to induce labor, would this waste my colostrum? I am googling and didn't even think of this possibility, but it's raised a lot in the random discussion threads about this method of induction.

TIA!

Re: I am mortified to ask this question... no flames please...

• I have no idea... but I have wondered this before also.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • No.  Colostrum is like a "crunch all you want, we'll make more" substance until you deliver and your homones trigger your boobies to make milky milk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • IMO, I wouldn't do it.  I wouldn't want to potentially mess with my BFing supply/ability.

Has your OB given you an induction date yet?

• I don't really know the answer, but heck you are 41 weeks along, no one can flame you.  You've earned the right to ask as many "Get this baby out of me" questions as you want!
  • DH always tells me that I'm wasting it if I pinch my nipples.  I would assume your body creates more. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It is! Awesome. Thank god YOU know something - you should see all the peeps out there on the internet who are FULL of misinformation.

What is the general thinking about the idea of doing this?

• Use clothes pins.  They stimulate and hurt enough to induce labor. Confused
  • You're not supposed to pump the colustrum.  It's important for the baby to get it, and if you pump too much your body will go from producing colustrum to producing milk. 

I tried the breast pump the other day and after only two pumps started leaking and had to stop - I was bummed :(

But if you give it a shot and don't leak, I think you're in the clear to keep going.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Your body will keep making more until your placenta is delivered, and then the hormones will switch to start making milk.

Just be careful...nipple stimulation can cause really fast, strong contractions.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagejenerally:

IMO, I wouldn't do it.  I wouldn't want to potentially mess with my BFing supply/ability.

Has your OB given you an induction date yet?

My induction date is Wednesday, barring anything unforseen on tomorrow's BPP and NST. Monday's came back great.

• My thought is that if you're desperate enough, you'll give it a try.  HOwever, if it REALLY was something that brought on labor, all the women beyond 38 weeks pregnant would have four foot long nipples by now.

:-)

Also, tell him it's not going to impact you in a negative way - if anything it would stimulate you to overproduce.

• Awe man, I hadn't seen you on here yet today so I was hoping you had gone into labor!

?

I'm pretty sure no matter what you do you will produce colostrum until your baby is born and your milk comes in. Pumping now shouldn't affect your colostrum supply. ?

• imagePlannedChaos:

My thought is that if you're desperate enough, you'll give it a try.  HOwever, if it REALLY was something that brought on labor, all the women beyond 38 weeks pregnant would have four foot long nipples by now.

Wait... doesn't everyone have those? JK...

• Can ya tie 'em in a knot, can ya tie 'em in a bow?
  • imagePlannedChaos:
    Can ya tie 'em in a knot, can ya tie 'em in a bow?

Does THAT stimulate labor? Because if it does, I'm in!

• Right - for whoever said previously that pumping could make your colostrum switch to milk - no, it won't.  As another poster said, it's the delivery of the placenta that triggers the hormones that stimulate your breasts to make regular milk, not colostrum.

Some women start making colostrum in very early months.  I myself have had leakage (yay!) for about 4 months,  - so - yeah, if I was going to run out, um...I think I'd have run out by now.

• imagePlannedChaos:

Right - for whoever said previously that pumping could make your colostrum switch to milk - no, it won't.  As another poster said, it's the delivery of the placenta that triggers the hormones that stimulate your breasts to make regular milk, not colostrum.

Some women start making colostrum in very early months.  I myself have had leakage (yay!) for about 4 months,  - so - yeah, if I was going to run out, um...I think I'd have run out by now.

This is not what I've read - my book says specifically not to pump.  But since I don't have it in front of me, I can't say exactly what the science is behind it. 

A question though - if delivery of the placenta is the only thing that leads to milk production, how do adoptive mothers breastfeed? 

imageimageimage
  • imageeminbmore:
    imagePlannedChaos:

Right - for whoever said previously that pumping could make your colostrum switch to milk - no, it won't.  As another poster said, it's the delivery of the placenta that triggers the hormones that stimulate your breasts to make regular milk, not colostrum.

This is not what I've read - my book says specifically not to pump.  But since I don't have it in front of me, I can't say exactly what the science is behind it. 

A question though - if delivery of the placenta is the only thing that leads to milk production, how do adoptive mothers breastfeed? 

About adoptive mothers I believe they take hormones to stimulate milk production.

• it's a totally reasonable question, and you are certainly allowed to ask w/o being flamed.  but i have heard several warnings about nipple stimulation as a means of inducing labor.  they say sex is a better way b/c semen softens the cervix and can bring labor on more gradually.  i think that nipple stimulation, and certainly pumping would bring it on quickly.  not sure exactly what would be bad about that at 41+ weeks, but the contractions might be more intense.  have you asked your doc?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"