Breastfeeding

horribly painful nipple - please help

Right now, I am just sitting here at my computer desk nipple out.  I figure the fresh air might do it some good.

A few minutes ago; DS was finally nursing off my right side.  I say finally because my right nipple is so sore/red/bleeding/blistered that I literally couldn't let me latch for like 15 minutes.  We were both crying :(.   I'm using Lansinoh and soothies.  I really don't think it's a latch problem...I think it's just an open wound that doesn't heal because we pick at it every two hours.

Anyway, any suggestions?  How long did this last for you? 

Re: horribly painful nipple - please help

• Have you talked to your doctor? A friend of mine had an infection that they treated and gave her meds for. Turned out to be no big deal but good thing she went in.
  • I would talk to a lactation consultant or Pediatrician or your OB to rule out an infection.

I had latch problems and I used a nipple shield to give my left nipple a chance to heal.  So much better!  I also tried pumping/nursing right twice in a row to give my left a break, but then he had to nurse even longer (40 min vs 15 min) to stimulate production 48 hours later.

• Loading the player...
  • i had this same problem the first couple days after beginning to BF, and it does get better!  definitely check with your doc if you think it's really bad in case it's somethign worse than i had... but i used soothies just at the start so things didnt rub against my boobs.  but the lac consultant said it's keeping fresh air from helping to heal them so don't use them too much - fresh air definitely does help a TON!  i had my shirt off for a couple of days basically!  and i used Lansinoh lotion ALLLLL the time.  suddenly a few days later it was much better!  that breast is still more difficult for us, but we don't cry at latch on anymore, phew!

also use warm compresses (like a hot washcloth or heating pad) on the breast right before feeding.  it really does help the milk flow easier and the baby latches on easier.  not perfectly or anything but i was amazed how much it did make a difference, for us anyway!

GOOD LUCK!   stick with it!

• I'd definitely confirm that there is no infection first off. But I've been BFing 11 months now. I've never had cracked nipples from latch problems or anything, but I have had sore nipples from pumping and from milk blisters. dabs of olive oil on the nipple over the course of a couple of days has at times dramatically reduced the pain for me. I'm battling a milk blister right now.  Good Luck!!!

• Sorry to hear you're having issues!  I know the pain very well.  It took a good 6 weeks before that feeling stopped for me.  Can you maybe pump on that side while it sorta heals up?  At the hospital the LC gave me this gel pad (not at all like the Soothies) that was supposed to (and did) heal up the cracks while I was able to nurse.  I also used a nipple shield so she wasn't sucking right on my skin.  That seemed to help a little.
  • Ugh, you poor thing.  I had open sores from an incorrect latch in the hospital that took awhile to heal.  Fresh air and lanolin helped as did warm compresses before nursing on that side.  I also at times put an ice pack on for a little bit to make the pain subside or I'd run hot water over my nipples - both seemed to make things feel better for awhile.  I also took tylenol often.  Really though, I think time was what helped.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"