Breastfeeding

Very ignorant, possibly flameable question...

3rd tri mom with too much time on her hands and lots of little questions, sorry!

Do you need to burp BF babies? I assume that if you bottle feed than you'd burp because excess air is taken in but if you're BFing this doesnt happen. Right?

Re: Very ignorant, possibly flameable question...

• yes you burp them.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I think it depends on the baby, but generally, yes, you burp them.  They still take in air while they're eating.  I actually don't burp my son that often anymore, but I definitely needed to do it a lot when he was younger.

This board tends to be fairly flamefree.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Depends on the baby. DD#1 never needed to be burped. DD#2 needed to be burped occasionally. DS needs to be burped ALL THE TIME!
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I had always heard that BF babies are less gassy then bottle fed babies, and I suppose that is true however- you do still need to burp them every so often.  If you are feeding from both breasts you can burp in between. If you nurse from only one side at a feeding you can stop midway through for a burp or just burp when you are done.  It depends on the baby.  My baby is not a great burper so I just burp him when we are done.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I rarely had to burp my DD, but I do burp my DS between sides. He seems more gassy than she was.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Yup, you burp them. They still swallow air when they pull back or fuss.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Thanks ladies! I BFed with DD but that was 10yrs ago and I dont remember much about it. ^_^
  • I had to burp DD every time she nursed until she was close to 10 months old.
  • the only time i don't need to burp is if she falls asleep at the breast at night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I burp DS when he was still BFing aside from getting the air out and because sometimes he would fall asleep. So i did burp in between feedings.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"