Special Needs

Synargis

Whose has a DC on this?

Our new cardio today recommended that Marley receive monthly injections. Does your insurance cover it completely? I hear it is very expensive.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Synargis

• Ben gets it. They are only for the winter, depending on your insurance it starts in oct/nov and goes to march/april. Our Insurance approved 5, so november - march.

It is very expensive, and it takes 3 shots to get the full protective effects from it.  they get a dose depending on weight, Ben is 17lbs and gets $3000.00 worth a month. We have a drug co pay ($20.00) and a visit co-pay ($30.00), so 50 a month, but totally worth it. We have to go to the apnea clinic at the hospital, our pedi doesn't carry it.

The also will generally only approve up to 2 years old. Ben turns 2 in Oct, so they told us, we would probably have to fight to get in next winter.

Katherine

Katherine Proud Mommy and Foster Mommy
  • Jonathan and Matthew had these injections from October until April when they were newborns.  They are very expensive BUT we only had to pay or co-pay for the doctors office.  We weren't approved their second year and they both had bronchitis.  Matthew had pneumonia as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Jack did for his first 2 cold/flu seasons after he was born (Nov. - March both years).

We had to pay $150 co-pay each month ($25 for the shot and $125 for the nursing visit - they came and did it at our home since his immune system was shot from his cardiac surgeries - we couldn't even take him to the doctors office).  I was happy to pay the co-pay though since the shot + visit ran about $4,000 each time Indifferent

• My son gets it because of his congenital heart disease and nasal birth defect. My insurance covers the whole thing, including the nurse that comes to our house to administer the shot. Thank goodness, because otherwise it would run us over $3000 per month. He was approved for Nov-March.
  • My insurance didn't cover it at all - but maybe your Pedi will give you samples - that is what ours did, he said it will cover him for 30 days until we go back (then i hope he'll give us another "sample"  ?) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Kate gets it because of her heart defect (now repaired!)  She won't have to have it every winter, just this winter.  Her first shot was in October, can her last shot will be in March.  It's very expensive, ours would be about $2000/month OOP, but we pay $0 because California Children's Services picks up everything our insurance doesn't.

It's synagis, by the way. :)

• Cash gets these too and actually had his last shot on Tuesday evening. He also been approved for 5 shots for Oct/Nov - March/April. The shots are costly, but well worth it. Luckily medicaid picks up the difference for Cash and we pay nothing like some of the other pp. However, eve if we had to pay something we would.

Cash was approved basically because of his immune system and frequent pneumonia and health issues due to the trach. Since having his shots he has been hospital free. He currently on antibiotics for an infection, but I know that if he was not receiving the shots we would have been in the hospital by now.

I would definitely look into getting them. Here in AZ rsv season is really just beginning it has been a late season here. Tell Marley we all said HI:)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"