Secondary IF

How much is IVF?

We just had our 2nd mc and we are going to talk next Friday about testing, etc.  Since I know insurance doesn't cover it (at least ours does not) how much is it if we have to go that route?  TIA

Re: How much is IVF?

• Well you probably wouldn't do IVF unless all other treatments fail!  There are much cheaper methods that are less invasive.

But I was curious as well about this and I found this site... hopefully we won't have to go this route either:

Cost of IVF at Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago Illinois

BTW, I am so sorry for your losses!  I've never been through it but many on this board has.  Please don't be a stranger if you need women to talk too.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • So sorry for your losses.

I agree with PP that IVF is usually a treatment used later down the road. 

One thng to note when seeing prices for IVF is that it typically does not includ ethe cost of Meds which can really add up.  My good friend is undergoing it now and I think total it was around 15K.

GL

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

• Loading the player...
  • I am sorry about your losses. I also had 2 mc and I know it is not easy. A previous poster did mention that there are other options before going to IVF and actually, your insurance might cover some of the other treatments. You should call to find out exactly what they will cover. Mine will cover 4 cycles of IUI with stronger, injectable gondatrophins and 8 with oral, less potent drugs.

As far as IVF...it really varies by clinic. Ours broke down with something like, 7K for the procedure, 4K for the hospital time, visits, lab, 3K for the drugs and other fees...but our first clinic had a base payment and then there were fees as it went and I didn't like that type of unknown so it might be important for you to at least ask them how they charge for the procedure.

Also, if you are going to a clinic that is part of a learning hospital you might be able to take advantage of some grant money. We had no idea this was possible and ended up getting over 3K off on one of our treatments. It was really helpful!

Good luck to you! Hopefully you won't need to go to IVF!

• The price of IVF can vary quite a bit between different clinics.  Most will offer a cash price that is different, and less, than what they would charge an insurance company.

I actually did an IVF at the Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago, which another poster mentioned, and it came to between $15,000 and $17,000 BUT I did have insurance and I also am considered a poor responder so I was on super high doses of meds.

If you get to the point of considering IVF then first you'd want to find a clinic with a good success rate, then one with doctors and nurses you are comfortable with and last but no least you'd want to consider the price.  Many have packages that would include more than one attempt and some even have packages which include the costs of the meds.  The meds can really add up so you should ask if the clinic has any program by which you could get meds that other patients didn't use.  And, although it is illegal to buy meds from other people, there are a lot of women out there selling or even donating their meds to other women who are paying completely out of pocket.

Hopefully, you will get answers to your questions and a solution to your problems without having to go the IVF route.  But, if not, feel free to ask any questions you have.  It's a hard process to go through.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"