Breastfeeding
Options

BM storage in ice cube trays?

A lady my mom works with freezes BM in ice cube trays. The "cube" spots (I guess you would say?....) are about 1 oz. So she freezes in that and then transfers to some kind of ziploc freezer bag. Then if DD needs 4 oz she can take out 4 cubes.

Has anyone heard of this or had success freezing this way? Sounds interesting....

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BM storage in ice cube trays?

• Options
    I dunno about for the long run-- sounds like it could get easily freezer burned.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've heard about this but it seems like it might be tough to keep everything sanitary.  I've never seen it recommended in a book.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just read about this today, actually.  I found an article excerpting from Sally Wendkos Olds' "THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BREASTFEEDING."  It says to freeze with a sheet of plastic wrap over the ice cube tray, then transfer to a airtight glass or plastic container.  One thing to think about might be whether the ice cube tray is bpa-free.  Actually, if you google something like "breast milk storage ice cube," you'll find that they actually make products for this.  Who knew?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I've heard of it. I thought about trying it, but I didn't have any ice cube trays while I was pumping.

I guess that, to keep it from getting freezer burned, you could cover it with plastic wrap, right on the surface...like keeping a skin from forming on pudding.

• Options
    That is actually how my mom saved BM for me when I was a baby
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"