Breastfeeding

Pumping at work

i"m returning to work in a few weeks and wonder for those who pump at work how often do you pump? i feed the baby every 2-3 hours at home but wont be able to pump that often at work. i recognize that i will prob. have to supplement with formula.

Re: Pumping at work

• I would pump as much as you can feasibly pump.  I plan on pumping every 2-3 hours while I"m working but I have a job that allows for me to do so. 

Your body will eventually regulate itself and only produce as much as you NEED.  I would maybe try to increase your night time supply so that you can maybe not have to supplement.  Like pump after you nurse at night. 

I would also start a freezer stash now

• when I first started out I pump right before I left for work, then 3 times in 12 hours at work.  So really 4 times in 13 hours. I went back to work at 6 weeks pp.  Once I felt comfortable that I wasn't going to lose my supply, I dropped the pumping session I did before work so I went down to 3 times.  I did that at about 12 weeks pp.  I agree do it as often as you can.  If I have time for a 4th time I do it but I also try to time it that I have milk to nurse DD when I get home at night.

• Loading the player...
  • You don't have to supplement.  You'll be fine.  I pumped 2-3 times a day. 

I nursed at 6.  Pumped at 9:15, noon, and sometimes 2:30.  Nursed at 4. 

I dropped the 2:30 pump at 6 mos.  I dropped the first pump at 11 mos and now at a year I just nurse DD at lunch. 

You could pump on the way to work- it's possible!  I did one side at a time in the car while driving :)  Or after you baby goes to bed if you have to make up a few oz everyday.  GL

• I too pump while driving to and from work.  I EP, so I have to pump when I can.  However, it is very possible to do this and a great use of time!  I bought a hands free pumping bra (see post above) and a car adapter.  With my hooter hider in tact, it helps me function and feel like an adult and not someone tied to a machine/baby. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"