Special Needs

shoes & braces/AFO's?

I just found this posting board. My son was born with multiple deformities. Now he is a year old, & has never worn shoes. He has recently been fitted for his braces (through Shriner's hospital in St. Louis). We are having a really hard time finding shoes that fit well with his AFO's. I know Stride Ride has shoes in a double wide, but does anyone have suggestions for shoes working/fitting well with braces?

Thanks!

Re: shoes & braces/AFO's?

• I am a physical therapist who often lurks on this board. I work in pediatrics, all with kids with special needs. When I order braces/AFOs for my kids I often reccomend stride rite or new balance to my parents. Stride rite because around here they allow you to bring in the braces and custom fit the shoes, and new balance because they offer a wide option that often fits the braces. Like the previous poster said though removing the soles of some shoes will allow the AFO to fit in as well. Good luck and let me know if there is any other way I can help!

Lindsay

• Thanks for the suggestions. I went out yesterday, & bought a pair of new balance. This is what our PT suggested also.They seem good so far. We are having a problem with his feet staying in the braces & shoes when he crawls. He is not completly walking yet. The more he walks & not crawls, I guess it will get better.Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • There are something called hatchbacks.  They have adjustability in the heel so the heel can open up to allow the AFO's to fit.  Not sure if they come in you DC's size being so young.  I'm an EI PT too :) 
  • Lots of families I work with use Crocs.  Actually most use the walmart or target ones for 5$ and buy a few different colors.  They fit great! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"