Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Please tell me about nipple shields

I've heard they make BF less stressful for mother and child and that they prevent cracked, bloody nipples (I'm cringing thinking about that!).  Does anyone know anything about them like what brand to get, if they work or are a pain in the butt, or even where to get them?  I haven't seen them by BF supplies before, are they called something different?

I appreciate any info you can give me.  TIA!

Re: Please tell me about nipple shields

• Options

I use a medela shield with my preemie daughter to help her latch. I bought mine at target. I believe they come in the same sizes as your breast pump flange.

It is a pain, but better than the alternative of her not nursing. I am trying to build up her ability to nurse, so it is worth it.

You should use it under the guidance of a LC to help work out the problem you hope it will fix. I use it for about 3-5 minutes of good latching, then I take it off and continue nursing. She has hit or miss days without it, but she is getting better.

Good luck

• Options
    they are a total PITA!! they need to be cleaned and sterilized constantly, its a headache trying to remember where it is, DS always knocked mine off sending milk everywhere, they can be tricky to stick on, they can cause nipple confusion if you were to want to BF without it.. the list goes on. they can decrease milk supply and are really only supposed to be used if necessary. For example, latching issues or flat or inverted nipples. Even in those cases, its recommended to use under advice of a lactation consultant and you should still attempt to wean off of them. If you're worried about cracked or bleedy nipples (blood is unlikely) pick up some lansinoh cream to have on hand. If you want to keep a nipple shield on hand as well it's not a bad idea incase you do need to use one it is available asap. however, if you are going to get one, I picked them up over the counter at shoppers drug mart. I found the Medela brand the best and prefered the "contact" nipple shield over a "full" shield as it has a cut out portion where the baby's nose rests to provide a more natural skin contact.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    violet (01.06.2011) & colt (09.27.08)
    expecting surprise baby no.3 may 3rd
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was given one at the hospital b/c DS wasn't able to latch properly.  He was able to BF very well but it became a pain b/c of cleaning, knowing where it is at all times, makes night feedings difficult if you nurse in bed, ect.  We had many LC appts to try to get him to latch without it.  It took a loong 6 weeks.  I would highly recommend not using one unless ABSOLUTELY necessary!  Don't start a bad habit if possible.
  • Options
    Wow, thank you all.  I was thinking about just starting off with them to prevent pain or discomfort, not realizing they were used mainly for correcting problems.  I guess my preventitive idea is not such a good one.  Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    the first 2 weeks of trying to breastfeed can be miserable! just hang in there and know that it WILL get better and easier no matter what problem you face, if any!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    violet (01.06.2011) & colt (09.27.08)
    expecting surprise baby no.3 may 3rd
  • Options
    It is the reason I was able to BF both children. I won't tell a long story but I will just say a shield has been my saving grace. I used it the whole 10 weeks I BF #1 and am still using it with #2. If used properly (and while monitoring the baby to make sure he or she is transferring milk okay with it) it is wonderful. A pain in the butt, too...but it is worth it to me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have one because DD was in NICU for the first week and at first fed through IV, and then my BM/supplemental formula through a bottle. She BF'ed successfully a few times that first week in the hospital but once she was dc'ed to go home I couldnt get her to latch on and was pumping and feeding her through a bottle due to nipple confusion. A visiting nurse suggested a shield and I have been using that for the past week with much success. However I keep it on through the entire feeding which after reading previous post seems like a mistake so now I am worried I am doing more harm than good?!
  • Options

Dont use one unless you absolutely have to. A nurse gave me on in the hospital when my baby was having a tough time latching on. (with a bit more patience on her part I know I could have gone without but I didn't know better at the time to refuse it).

Like the PPs said, they are a pain to clean, remember to carry around and make bfing much more complicated to do on a whim. I am in the midst of weaning my DS off it and it's been a struggle. I still got bloody, sore nipples with the shield anyway cause my skin is so sensitive and now feeding him without the shield hurts all over again.

My advice is only use one if you REALLY need it..with the assistance of a LC. BFing is very tough in the beginning..a lot harder than I thought but just hang in there and it is totally true that it does get better eventhough you might never see that being the case in the first few weeks.

GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"