Working Moms
Options

Was offered a promotion- Don't know what to do

Last week, my boss offered me a position which would be an upgrade for me. It is an "acting" position right now because the girl who had it is going into another "acting" position because the girl who was in that job went out on medical leave (I know, kind of confusing) but basically if this girl who is out on leave comes back then it's possible I would go back to my position I am in now. I work in Human Resources for a state agency and I really enjoy the work I do but I hate the people. I was very happy to be offered this position but the one thing holding me back is the hours. I have always worked a flexible schedule so on some days I work 7:45-4 and other days it's 8:45-5. Obviously having a baby, these hours are very helpful for me considering I pick the baby up on some nights.This new position would require me to work till 5 everyday with the possiblity of working later on some nights.

I really want this position for the experience and I know it could lead to other things down the line BUT on the other hand, I am not willing to work late nights and be away from my son any longer than I already am. I let my boss know that my son comes first and she said I could work 1 day a week until 4. I have made a list of the pros & cons and I have more cons. I miss my son as it is everyday at work so when it's time for me to go home, I can't wait to see him. I am so exhausted all the time that I don't know if I could handle the added responsibilities and late hours. My DH would obviously help me if I took the job but it still takes time away from my son which I will never get back. Obviously if he was older and more independent, it wouldn't be such a hard decision. The extra money I would get isn't alot but that isn't really important to me anyway. A part of me thinks I am young and should try to work my up now and I'm afraid if I don't take this opportunity I might not get another one. I would have another supervisor in this new job and he is a royal PIA!!! and I don't know if I could handle the stress of that. I just have a feeling if I take it, I might regret it and I always believed if I have doubts about something then it's probably not the right thing for me. I spoke to a few of my co-workers who are doing this work right now and they all said it is alot of work and you bust your balls and you could get handed something at like 5 and you are expected to stay and finish it. 

I have to let them know my decision on Monday so I am planning on telling them the only reason I am hesitant is the late hours. I wish I could keep my flex schedule but I know they won't support it. Just looking for some advice! 

Re: Was offered a promotion- Don't know what to do

• Options
    imagelisa777:

My DH would obviously help me if I took the job but it still takes time away from my son which I will never get back. Obviously if he was older and more independent, it wouldn't be such a hard decision.

I spoke to a few of my co-workers who are doing this work right now and they all said it is alot of work and you bust your balls and you could get handed something at like 5 and you are expected to stay and finish it. 

Just like they're only little once, they're only 8 once and they're only 13 once.  They're just much cuter when they're 7 months.

Your post is screaming "I don't want this."  You don't want to alter your schedule.  You don't want to have the responsibility that comes with a higher-level position; at least not right now.

The fact is, you can't advance if you're not willing to take on managerial responsibilities like staying until a project is done and working even when it's inconvenient.  If you don't want this now, then fine.

• Options

I agree with RoxyLynn, I don't feel like you want the position - which is totally fine.

You might also want to ask yourself these questions:

• If you WERE NOT pregnant, is this a job you would want?
    • Are you already doing some/most of the work this new job entails?  If so, would you like to get paid for it?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Here's my question:  Do you actually like this job/career, or is it just a paycheck?

My reasoning for asking is that I too get this vibe that you don't want to do this, but it almost stems from this "But I don't WANT my routine altered any more than it already has been!  I have had enough  new changes in my life in the past year TYVM!!!"  And if that is the most important thing to you here, then fine, tell them no, and be done with it and you will be fine.

However, I wonder if you will regret this decision.  Not even necessarily now, but when a few years down the road you're ready to hop off the mommy track and take on some more responsibility, but now your employer is hesitant to give it to you because when he offered it to you before you turned it down, so he or she gives it to someone else who will accept without as much drama.

I would think long and hard about saying no to this.  If it is an acting position, its temporary.  You can always try it for a while and see if you like it, and then if it is offered to you permanently, you can then fall back on, "no, this doesn't work" and don't look as bad.

Good luck though!

Seriously, people. If your faith in humanity is destroyed because your parents told you there was a Santa Claus and as it turns out there is no Santa Claus, you are an ignorant, hypersensitive cry baby with absolutely zero perspective. - UnderwaterRhymes
  • Options
    Thank you everyone who has responded. I have made up my mind and I am going to turn down the offer. I am going to tell my boss that the reason I am saying no is the hours. My DS is too important to me right now and changing my schedule will just make things more complicated where he is so young still plus my parents watch him everyday and if I work late then that means they have him longer which isn't fair to them. If my boss would let me keep my flexible hours then it wouldn't be a problem at all but I know they are not going to budge. I have to follow my gut with this one and right now, my career isn't my priority.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"