Austin Babies

Lactation appt Today.

So we've been doing monthly weight checks (they say it to reassure me, but yeah it just stresses me out) for 2 months now. Last one he only gained 3 oz. So the nurse was sorta freaking me out (like hearing 3oz didn't do it already) then she goes to talk ot the doctor and comes back and tries to smooth things over (his chart is still rising but he dropped from 95 to 75 % at 6month check). So she's like he looks good, he's got chubby cheeks and double chin and pudgey legs. (yeah I know I wiggle them all the time)

So I'm thinking I don't make enough milk, but every time we're done feeding I can still squirt some out (sorry if that's tmi). But hubby is sure since I can't pump much my supply is getting lower. I'm waffling btwn thinking that and knowing pumping is an artform in itself and I've been slacking about it etc. 

To make things worse, we're having a bit of trouble going to bed (i think it's b/c he needs to be burped better) but two nights ago hubby said, "you just don't make enoughgood milk for him, we need formula". UGH I totally didn't need to hear that. I've been on little sleep b/c someone has started waking up twice at night to eat again, which is also compounding my I'm not making enough milk feelings. (and yes hubby appologised and was just frusterated)

So I made an appt today with the lactaction lady at our pedi office. I hope it goes well, I think Little Dude get's weighed then I nurse him and we weigh again. So I guess it's finally getting to me and I'm nervous.

I've felt bad talking about it b/c so many of you gals have had much worse problems than this and I didn't want to bother anyone. I'm pretty much a keep my trouble to myself person, but always listen help others so It's sorta hard for me to blurt all of this out.

Anyway, Thanks for reading my ramblings. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Lactation appt Today.

• is it your pediatrician's charts he is dropping on?  from my experience that can be pretty typical with breastfed babies.  my pediatrician told me that breastfed babies have their 'own curve' and that the charts are based on formula fed babies, so not to worry as much.  i hope the lactation appointment goes well!!  that is definitely a good first step.

if you get a chance, maybe you could ask her about her experience with breastfed babies and if their percentage of weight gain is slower than formula fed (charts).

let us know how it goes!

• I think it's good you are seeing an LC just to make sure you know what is going on.  But honestly, I really think all is ok. 

The waking at night happens and honestly, you probably don't have to be feeding him at 8 months b/c he'll get trained to start eating at night again.  (I've been there, done that and learned the hard way that DD really didn't need to eat at night but b/c I fed her she just kept waking up b/c it became a habit.)  And like you, I was concerned about her weight so I assumed she needed to eat.  The result was that she just ate less during the day and made up for it at night. FWIW - This is just my opinion based on my own experience of having sleep issues w/ DD.   You know what is best for your baby - I just wanted to throw that out there. 

I never responded to the pump well.  While DD was getting enough milk bfing, pumping was a different story. It just didn't do as well for me. So - you are right that it is different for everyone and don't rely on the pump as an indication of supply.  

Also DD dropped huge percentiles and we had weight "issues" for the first 9 months of her life.  But she was always happy and healthy and basically just settled into the weight/percentile that was right for her.  We had the bi-weekly and montly weight checks too and I totally remember the nervousness and subsequent concern when she wasn't gaining much.  But our pedi kept an eye on her and always assured us that DD was well and that we should continue bfing. (We did have some reflux issues early on but those were alleviated and DD still didn't gain much weight.)

Good luck!  I hope it goes well.  I know it is frustrating but it sounds like you are doing the right thing!

• Loading the player...
  • No real advice, just ***hugs***
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I hope your appointment goes well today!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• I hope the appt goes well too!

Ditto pp on the growth charts not being designed for BF babies.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"