North Carolina Babies

Follow up CD question

For those of you CD'ing that are planning on a number 2, do you really think all of your CD's will hold up through a second child.  I was reading a few posts on Mom's Corner and it sounded like some girls were already talking about their diapers not holding up (maybe something with the velcro) after several months.  If I really launched into doing this, it would have to be also b/c I would use them for a potential number 2 also.  What do you guys think?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

Re: Follow up CD question

• I think it really depends. If you buy 15 one size pockets with velcro and wash them all every two days- then they might not last the entire time for baby #2. But I've bought tons of used diapers and they have been just as great as the new ones I have! Snaps tend to hold up a little better than velcro, and I'm sure the sized diapers last longer than one-size, simply b/c you don't use then as long.

For the most part, if you have a decent stash then I think you can use most of the diapers for at least one more kid. And if it's a diaper you don't like, you can always resell it. Most diapers hold their value really well if you take good care of them- a lot of the diapers on diaperswappers sell for more than half of their original price- and they are used!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've seen so many mixed reviews at how well diapers hold up.  I've also seen the posts about the velcro turning to crap after just a few months.  We've been CD'ing for only a few months now, but I can honestly say my diapers still look new.  I'm not sure if those girls have defective diapers, or if they just don't take care of them, but I foresee our diapers lasting us a long, long time.  And still being in good shape for #2.  But like jenhum said, if you have a small stash and are washing the same ones over and over again every couple of days, they probably won't last as long.

There are pros and cons to snaps and velcro.  One of them is that snaps will work better longer than velcro.  But snaps can be a pain sometimes when you're changing a wiggly baby.  We have some of each, and I honestly can't say I like one hands down more than the other. 

I think since you'd be starting when Camryn is a year old, you wouldn't have any problems with your diapers being in good shape for baby #2.  Given that you take care of them and wash them properly (which I know you will).

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I am starting to have problems with the velcro on my BumGenius diapers that I've used only 3 months.  I am definitely thinking about switching to snaps.  The diapers themselves are in great condition, no stains or anything, they look totally new except for the velcro.  It makes sense I guess, I mean how many times can something be velcroed before it starts to wear out.

I have 14 BG AIOs that I wash every other day, which I'm sure adds to the wear and tear.

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well it's sounding like snaps might be the way to go for long term investment. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• imagecrescentmoon99:

I am starting to have problems with the velcro on my BumGenius diapers that I've used only 3 months.  I am definitely thinking about switching to snaps.  The diapers themselves are in great condition, no stains or anything, they look totally new except for the velcro.  It makes sense I guess, I mean how many times can something be velcroed before it starts to wear out.

I have 14 BG AIOs that I wash every other day, which I'm sure adds to the wear and tear.

See, we have 15 BG3.0s and I only CD part time.  So they don't get washed nearly as often.  Also, with velcro, it makes a huge difference if you line dry them. 

• Mikey, I had a feeling that's why mine are wearing out faster than yours.  He wears those 14 AIOs exclusively during the daytime right now, although I am thinking about investing in some fitteds to use with fleece covers during the day to let his bum breathe more.

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would go snaps for long term. ?My velcro ones are already showing wear, but they still have a lot of life left in them.

I don't find the snaps all the more difficult to use, but DD is kind of over fighting diaper changes, so that may be why.?

• If I were a SAHM, I would definitely use fitteds and covers, along with maybe some pockets and AIOs. 

Sometimes if DS is just in a diaper, with no clothes, he'll pull apart the velcro and take his diaper off.  But that's rare, so I don't worry about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"