Alabama Babies
Options

The Thanksgiving poll got me thinking

The question about food that is.

Now I am a born and bred Alabama girl.  So Southern by nature of course.  But my dad was born and raised in Indiana.  And I get some as my mom calls it "yankee" food tendencies.  Like I so prefer pumpkin pie over sweet potato. 

Well when Sarah was talking about "stuffing" instead of dressing it got me thiking.  When I was a kid we sometimes spent Thanksgiving in Indiana and we would have bread stuffing.  It was alright, but yeah the Southerness in me still prefers dressing.  One time we had Oyster dressing and can I officially say YUCK!  But I do know my dad's family says Yuck to dressing lol. 

I just thought that was funny after reading Sarah's answer to the poll :)

Re: The Thanksgiving poll got me thinking

• Options

Oyster dressing is a North Eastern thing (I think I remember that right) but I couldn't imagine eating oyster dressing - eew.

I'm sorry you don't like bread stuffing - it's da bomb! LOL!  eew, but my mom who was raised in the midwest likes to put the stuffing INSIDE the turkey when it's raw and then it cooks in the bird.  This totally grosses me out and I refuse to eat the 'in bird' kind - we always make two.  

I never had "dressing" until I moved to the south.  

• Options

Yeah dressing is definitely a southern thing :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Question.. what is the difference between dressing and stuffing?

I'm just used to the kind my grandma makes... out of bread... and she is from Minnesota.

Talking about southern food, I had never had chicken and dumplings or regular grits until I was in high school and was over at friend's houses. I grew up on Midwestern food... in Alabama!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Options

dressing is mushier than stuffing.  it the south it has a corn bread base. 

In the north/midwest, it has a bread/crouton base. 

• Options

Yuck I don't like grits.  Now dumplings bring them on :)

And you know something else I don't like?  Twinkies.  Wes says I am not American lol.  

• Options
    Twinkies are disgusting...
  • Options

imagesdkrlm:
    Twinkies are disgusting...

You are the first person that has agreed with me.  Seriously who thought of those and why are they considered such an American staple lol!

• Options
    I agree as well--just the thought of twinkies grosses me out.........a restaurant here actually has fried twinkies as a dessert.....yuck!
  • Options

I'm a stuffing girl myself - but I didn't even know there was a difference until I read this post. But, what do you expect from a yankee??

As for the rest of the southern stuff - big yum to chicken and dumplings, but big BOO to grits.  Nasty, nasty, nasty.  Dh's grandparent swear I'll like them one day...  No thanks....

And it's been forever since I've had a twinkie.  I used to like them, but they really don't sound appealing any more.  Now, bread it and deep fry it, and we may be talking!

• Options
    Yeah... I'm definitely more of a stuffing rather than dressing kind of person. My MIL makes dressing with eggs in it. eww.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"