Blended Families
Options

Kids Grades

When the heck did it become acceptable for kids to get D's or F's???  Holy cow.  My SO's niece is getting D's in almost all of her classes in 5th grade.  I don't have kids yet but it would NEVER be acceptable for my child to be getting D's!  SO's daughter live with their Mom most of the time but they are in private school that SO helps pay for and they also have a D or two.  There's no way in heck my kid would be getting D's especially in a private school I'm paying for!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kids Grades

• Options
    If they are getting D's because they aren't working, that's one thing.  But there are some people who can not do better than that.  Learning disabilities, ADD...maybe they just aren't that smart.  It's not always controllable.
  • Options

I agree and see where you're coming from... My SD was failing several classes and also getting some D's.  My DH doesn't understand because he was a "straight A never had to study" student.  On the other hand - I was not... I always got good grades, but it took discipline and studying to get them...  Some kids are just NOT cut out to be perfect in school.  C's, D's, and F's are NOT acceptable to me for any reason (other than maybe an unidentified learning disability) but some kids are not the straight A smart.

My SD's mother doesnt care about her, nor does she help her with homework.  Yet again - she herself never even graduated high school (so maybe she just cant help her)!  I think that it is important to see WHY they are getting those grades... My SD is perfectly capable of doing well (all of her test scores were A-B range) it was the homework that wasnt getting done, goofing off in class and losing points, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

you took the words right out of my ... fingers (?). 

My DD has issues with math and no matter how hard she/we work on it, she still gets D's in math. 

What else are you guys doing to help them get above Ds besides paying for a private school?  Are you working with them outside of the classroom?

• Options
    Ditto the first post.  If they are not trying that's not ok but if they are really trying they need extra help, easier class or something else is going on.  But yeah, D's were punished when SD got them but honestly that got us no where.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options

A "D" once in a while is one thing, but if its a whole series of classes there's something else going on.

Some kids just don't "get" certain subjects-- it could be the method a teacher is using for teaching or a general lack of interest in the subject itself. I know when I was in HS, I failed algebra and German after having mono the first 5 weeks of school. No amount of tutoring could help me catch up. And honestly, that screwed me up for the rest of my high school career in mathmatics. Funny thing is-- I managed to earn straight As in my math classes in college.

SO, my advice is to 1) look at teh subjects that they are failing 2) look at their social situation (health/family/friends) and then make an assessment and take action.

• Options
    We don't accept anything lower than a B.  With me being a SAHM, there's no reason they can't bring assignments home for help if they don't understand.  For math, that means DH and I actually check all of their math assignments by doing the problems ourselves, and checking - and where necessary, we walk through the process with them. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"