Blended Families

XP from 2nd Tri: Psycho Mom, or Good Tough Love...

Sorry if anybody's seeing this twice, but I'm interested in your perspective.  A local article is in the news today about a mom who insisted that her 12-year-old son be arrested after he shoplifted two packs of M&Ms. 

What do you think?  Too far?  Or good to scare the crap out of him so he doesn't go for more next time?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP from 2nd Tri: Psycho Mom, or Good Tough Love...

• Depends on how it happened and if it's ever happened before.

If this was his first time, then a simple talk would do.

However, if she'd caught his happy behind at it for a while AND he's been acting like a 'tudey turd, yes indeedie. Mom do what they have to do.

Click me, click me!
  • I agree - if it was a first offense then maybe a little harsh (but then again I guess it would depend on the environment).  If it wasn't the first time then absolutely - scare the crap out of him!  I would probably do it!
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it would depend on the mitigating factors.  The boy's age, his past history of knowing right from wrong, had he ever stolen ANYTHING before, etc?

I am would withhold condemnation until I knew more. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Yeah, who knows what the circumstances were.  When I was a kid, the Giant grocery store near us had these bins where you could fill up a bag with candy or like cashews or whatever (there were about 30 bins).  My brother and I took a couple of M&Ms and my mom caught us.  Marched us right up to customer service and made us apologize.  We were so mortified we never did it again.  But some kids may need it.  My fiance's brother and sister can't get anything through their thick heads so they would need the cuffs in order to get the picture...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree - I'd have to know the circumstances too...if this was a habit for him and it hasn't been broken with minor "talks" then maybe something like that is needed. Shoot, I took candy from a store when I was 4 and didn't even know what I was doing because my babysitter's daughter told me it was ok (she was older than me and KNEW it was wrong) anyway, my babysitter found out once we got to the car because I wasn't trying to hide it - I thought it was alright! She promptly drove us BACK to the store and made ME and her daughter tell the store manager what we did and apologize to him. All I remember was being terrified that my mom was going to kill me for something I didn't know was actually wrong at the time (you tell a 4 yr old it's alright, they're not going to 2nd guess you) Anyway, if I was ever going to have future thoughts of doing anything bad, that nipped it in the bud right there lol...

But this kid is 12 too - he knows that's not right - stealing is not a new concept at that age. If this was a first time thing for him though, yes, the police is a little extreme.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"