Birth Stories
Options

my early delivery

Let's rewind to a week before I delivered. I was in L&D for a UTI. They gave me an antibiotic and sent me home. I rested that day on the couch. The next day I returned to work, but didn't feel right. My feet were very swollen and they hurt when I walked. I had been complaining of this weeks before to my Dr. She dismissed it as a normal pg symptom. As the week progressed I kept having contractions here and there. They hooked me up to the monitors about 2 times that week.

On early Friday morning I woke up with severe back pain. I thought for sure I was experiencing back labor. I started packing my hospital bag, took a shower, and timed my contractions. They were irregular so I went to work. I was really hot and almost puked on the way to work. It took all my strength to drive. On the way in I called my Dr and she told me to come to get examined. I had DH pick me up at work because I couldn't drive. My back hurt really bad. When I go to the office my urine was really dark. The Dr said my infection had traveled into my kidneys and I had to go be admitted for 24 hours. DH and I went to the hospital. They started an IV and took my vitals. My bp was 165/90. It was usually 120/80 or below. They did some bloodwork and did a urine culture. My liver enzymes were elevated and I had a lot of protein in my urine. The diagnosed me with pre-eclampsia and did a 24 hour urine. The results would determine if I would be induced or not. On Saturday morning the results came back and I was being induced. I was 35 weeks and 5 days along. We were worried what complications our little one would face being born premature.

They started my induction that evening at 8pm. This was Saturday night. They started with cervadil. Twelve hours later they checked my cervix and I had no change. They let me eat breakfast and at 9:30am Easter morning they started 25mg of cytotech. They checked me 5 hours later and still no change. I got to eat lunch and then they did 50mg of cytotech. Around 5pm my contractions kicked in and they started me on Pitocin. My only birth plan was epidural STAT! I was only dilated to 1cm when they started the pitocin. I asked when I could have an epidural and my Dr said when I reached 2cm and was 100% effaced. They upped my pitocin and my contractions were coming every minute. I wasn't responding how they hadliked so they lowered the pitocin some. It took me until midnight to get to a 2. I asked over and over for an epidural. I finally got it at midnight. However, the epi only worked on the right side of my body. I could still feel everything. Around 2am the nurse came in and I told her I was feeling a lot of pressure. They checked me and I was fully dilated and crowning. They prepped me for delivery. They also had the peditrician, neonatal Dr, and a few nurses ready to assess our baby girl. I pushed for 25 mintues and Lola Marie was born at 2:25am. She weighed 5lbs 6oz and was 18.5 inches long.

They placed her on my belly for only a second and then took her over to the team. It took them about an hour to check her out. Thankfully, she was perfectly healthy. She didn't even need oxygen. I only had a small tear that recquired one stitch. They put her in my arms after what felt like an eternity. I was finally a mommy! We were released from the hospital Tues morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"