Stay at Home Moms

Decide last minute to SAM?

Did anyone decide last minute to not return to work?  I'm supposed to go back to work Dec 1, and I'm still not sure I want to.

If you quit last minute - did you just quit?  Or did you return to work for a few weeks to work out a two-weeks notice? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Decide last minute to SAM?

• After my maternity leave was over I stayed home on an unpaid leave of absence, which I was able to do for a year.  After that was up I went in to hand in my resignation.  Since someone had been doing my job already for over a year there was no need for me to give them notice.

• I didn't decided until after the baby came.  Make sure you ask for all your vacation b/f you quit - you can call your hr person for that and then tell your boss when you see fit.  I was close to my boss so she had a good idea all along...
  • Loading the player...
  • I went on leave at 7 months and I really did think I was going back. But when DS was 3 months and I was due to go back, DH and I decided for me to stay home. Since I wasn't back yet, I just went in and told them I wasn't going to be coming back. And I made sure I got my vacation/personal hours.
  • Remember that they have held your position open for quite some time; either they spent $ for a temp or they burdened your co-workers with your assignments for no extra pay.  If you screw them you can not expect to get a decent reference.
  • imageRoxyLynn:
    Remember that they have held your position open for quite some time; either they spent $ for a temp or they burdened your co-workers with your assignments for no extra pay.  If you screw them you can not expect to get a decent reference.

I know - that's exactly what I'm struggling with.  I'm actually pretty close with my team, and they've been working ridiculous hours because there are two of us on maternity leave and mgt refused to bring in a temp.  I don't want to screw them over, I would feel horrible about it.  But then do I put baby in daycare for just two weeks while I work out a notice?

• I was supposed to return to work Dec 8. I turned in my resignation on Friday. I had every intention of returning until very recently when a fantastic opportunity presented itself to me much closer to home. I have been on leave since June 18th, the past 10 weeks being unpaid.

Do I feel guilty? Yes, absolutely, I cried when I was resigning. I love my employer and my team, but my son comes first and I knew what I was doing was right in my heart.

• imageali-1411:
    I know - that's exactly what I'm struggling with.  I'm actually pretty close with my team, and they've been working ridiculous hours because there are two of us on maternity leave and mgt refused to bring in a temp.  I don't want to screw them over, I would feel horrible about it.  But then do I put baby in daycare for just two weeks while I work out a notice?

You're asking for a good way to do something extremely unprofessional.  There isn't one.  And it poisons the well for those who follow, as seen here:

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/6222905.aspx

If you really aren't going back, just tell them and be done with it.  Don't make your co-workers do your work without compensation for even longer than they already have.

• imageRoxyLynn:

imageali-1411:

You're asking for a good way to do something extremely unprofessional.  There isn't one.  And it poisons the well for those who follow, as seen here:

https://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/6222905.aspx

If you really aren't going back, just tell them and be done with it.  Don't make your co-workers do your work without compensation for even longer than they already have.

::sigh::  You're right, I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"