Pregnant after 35
Options

hi! new here & question about CVS

Hi!  I just found this board & been reading posts below.  I'm 35 now & will be very close to 36 by the time the baby comes.  This is the first time I hear about CVS testing!  My doctor scheduled me for an NT on week 12 & then said depending on the results I may or may not choose to have an amnio.  Does anyone know why he would'nt talk about the CVS?

Re: hi! new here & question about CVS

• Options
    Probably didn't think about it.  It's a riskier procedure than the amnio and has to be done earlier than the amnio.  You can discuss it with him though as to why it wasn't raised and his thoughts on it.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

If you're interested in the CVS, it's done right at 10 weeks.  The first question he'll ask you is what you would do if you found out something was wrong with your baby so, be prepared for that question.

One of the only differences between amnio and CVS and that the CVS can be done alot sooner.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Hi, I'm also new to this board, and I had a CVS a little over a week ago.  CVS is a newer procedure that is done much earlier than amnio. It must be done between weeks 10 - 12.  Since your doc is doing the NT during week 12, CVS would not be an option because it is too late by the time you get results.  The advantage of CVS is that it is done much earlier than amnio which means you can make decisions based on results much earlier.  The change of miscarriage is a little higer with CVS than amnio - CVS 1 in 150-200, and amnio 1 in 1000. 

If you want to explore CVS, tell you doctor you want to consider it instead of the NT - which is just a screening and only 85% accurate vs. 99% accurate for CVS. Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"