Trouble TTC

the dreaded maternity bridesmaid dress

Hi ladies,

My brother-in-law's fiance has asked me to be her matron of honor for a late may wedding.  I will be about 7 1/2 months pregant at that time.  I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions on maternity bridesmaids lines.  I know that watters & watters and David's carry them.

My future sil is fantastic and I love her.  She has already said that if we can't find a dress that works for me by the designer she chooses that we can work on something else.  but  i know that she would love it to match.  I'm also a larger girl as it is (size 18).

Last question, when would you recommend looking for a bm dress and ordering one.

thanks,

Brenda

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: the dreaded maternity bridesmaid dress

• I know a lot of bridal stores have fake bellies that you can try on if you are pregnant so you will know what size to buy.
  • I was in my S-I-L's wedding at about 7 months pregnant and I ordered a dress a few sizes larger than my normal size, and had a seamstress take-in the dress around my belly.It worked out great and I matched the other bridesmaids.

My sister was pregnant in my wedding and ordered an empire waist dress from the same designer in the color that matched the other bridesmaids and had it taken-in to fit her belly.  She was about 8 months along at the time.

As far as Maternity Bridesmaids dresses, I only know about Watters and David's....Good Luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Alfred Angelo is decently priced, and some of their dresses go to up to 30W so there are a wide range of sizes. Although not specifically maternity dresses, they have several that look like they could work for maternity. Finally, as the MOH you could always get a different dress in the same color as the other bridesmaids if your SIL is okay with that! Hope you find one you like!

• Just look around online - alot of designers have maternity styles.

However, it can take some places up to 6 months to gather and ship dresses! Plus you have to factor in alteration time (you don't wanna get it altered right before the wedding, and have a mistake you can't fix), so I'd hop on it pretty soon.

• I was 33 weeks pregnant at my sister's wedding, as was her other bridesmaid. I looked at David's when I was around 3-4 months, but was worried that the linings would be too tight when the day finally came (you have to order several months in advance). We went to Mimi Maternity and picked out a cute summery dress.

Fast forward to 2 weeks before the wedding, her other bridesmaid tried on the dress and it didn't fit! She ran out and found a gorgeous dress in the same shade of green at a dept store. I almost liked it more than the dress we picked out originally.

I would try to coordinate the bridesmaids dresses with a maternity dress that you can buy closer to the event when you have a better idea of your size.

• I am in the same situation. I will be about seven months at a wedding I am in. We are looking for dresses this week. I don't have any advice, but I feel your pain!

• I just got married and wore a David's Bridal dress.  When looking online, they have a plus sized model that shows off the dress.  (I am about a sixe 18)  The dress I wore was fairly inexpensive, came as a bridesmaid dress in all of those pretty colors, and probably would work as a maternity dress.  It had an empire waist and was made out of chiffon fabric.  It was incredibly comfortable...
  • I will be in the same boat as you.  7 months pregnant and the MOH in my sisters wedding in May.  I'm just getting the same bridesmaid dress as everybody else, just getting a bigger size andhaving it taylored to fit. IMO David's maternity line sucks.  They are fricking U.G.L.Y.
    m/c April '08
    DD#1 born June '09
    DD#2 born April '11
    TTC #3 as of July '14

My Ovulation Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"