Georgia Babies
Options

Considering switching OB/GYN & Hospital - please help!

I posted this on the Atlanta Nest board thinking it was the baby board, so sorry for the duplicate post!

My current OB group is affiliated with DeKalb Medical Center.  I had a miscarriage this February and DH and I are not happy with the way it was handled AT ALL.  We're TTC again finally and DH brought up the fact that he wants to consider a new group/hospital.  I've heard that Northside is THE place to have a baby.  I live in Gwinnett County - actually REALLY close to Emory Eastside in Snellville.  This is such a huge deal to me - I just don't know what to do!  Do I pick Northside?  Do I pick Emory Eastside? 

I'd love to get some rec's for OB's and also hear your opinion on the hospitals around Atlanta.  Is Northside really all it's hyped up to be?  Anyone here have experience with Emory Eastside?

Re: Considering switching OB/GYN & Hospital - please help!

• Options
    I don't have experience with Emory Eastside but I do have a couple of friends who delivered there who were really happy with their experience.  While I did deliver at Northside, it is a pretty far commute from Gwinnett.  I know we have some Moms who live in Gwinnett on the board so hopefully, they'll see your post and respond.
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with Emory Eastside, but I can tell you that Northside was great! I had several experiences with them since I had pre-eclampsia, and each one was great.  Not only was I treated with the utmost respect and care, but so was my family, and that was very important to me.  I have visited several friends that delivered at other hospitals and I can honestly say that the rooms and care, not just for them and their babies, but also for their husbands and family, were a much lower standard than I had at Northside. I agree that distance is a concern, but I live about 30 minutes from Northside, without traffic, and it was no problem for me at all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks guys, keep em coming! Wink

I wanted to add that the distance to Northside isn't an issue for us.  Obviously Emory Eastside is much closer, but the quality of care far outweighs the commute!  I actually know people up in Winder that delivered at Northside!! 

• Options

I've heard good things about Emory Eastside. I'm in Gwinnett Co. and delivered at Northside ... what a horrible experience. I hated pretty much every second of it. I know I'm in the minority with my experience, but they lost paperwork, didn't explain things well if ever at all, and were very quick to believe there was something wrong with my son when there wasn't really.

If you have a preemie or if you have a high risk pregnancy, I would probably go with Northside due to their excellent NICU. But otherwise, I would recommend EE.

(also, for this baby, we switched providers to be sure we wouldn't end up at Northside again.)

• Options

Northside has the highest volume of deliveries in the area....so its not nec the best....just the biggest.  That being said, I was high risk and had to have a csection, it was great as were the 5 days in the hospital.  My doctor, Dr Michlle Houston was rec to me by my RE and Peri specifically as a good group for anyone who has experieneced a pregnancy loss. 

Northside has the highest level NICU should you need it, but is not the only place in town.  I know that Piedmont does also.  That might be something you want to consider.     Personally I preferred Piedmont over NOrthside - smaller more intimate, but both to me were great so I would rec either.

• Options
    Thanks again for the feedback!  At this point I"m strongly leaning towards Emory Eastside.  It's just SO close to the house for starters - and Emory has such a good reputation.  When I had my miscarriage, we ended up having to go to the ER for an emergency D&C at 4 AM - let me tell you that drive from Lawrenceville to Decatur was NOT fun.  Plus when we have a baby, my parents and the IL's could stay at our house and go back and forth to the hospital w/out having to be uncomfortable in the waiting area.  We're literally like 10 minutes or less from there.  This is the group I am looking at: https://www.gwinnettobgyn.com/index.php
  • Options
    I delivered both of my boys at Eastside and had a great experience both times. The Women's Center at Eastside is fairly new (built within the last 5 years) and the rooms and staff were great. My OB is at Eastside as well and I highly recomend them...The Women's Group of Gwinnett. I know a few other nesties use the same practice and delivered at Eastside as well. Let me know if you have any questions!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Options
    Thanks Dzsgirl!  Does the Womens Group of Gwinnett have a website?  I tried googling them but didn't get anything.  I wanted to see if they accepted my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield). 
  • Options
    I don't think they do. Their number is 770 979-4700. I'm pretty sure they take most insurance's but give them a call!
    Grant Thomas 8.8.06 and Reid Alexander 8.11.08
  • Options
    Thanks!  Just a couple more questions - how many doctors are in the practice and how many are female?  I prefer a female ob/gyn.
  • Options
    I delivered at Northside and had a great experience there. My OBGYN is Dr. Jose Garcia @ Peachtree Women's Clinic. He is fabulous and has been in practice for a very long time. He was always very attentive and patient with me and he did my c/s. I believe they started delivering at Northside Forsyth which is where I would like to have my next baby in a few years. GL TTC and finding a new practice.
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Hey Lady!!!

I am so happy to hear that you are ttc again! I can't wait for you and dh to be parents - it's been a long time coming.

My experience at Northside was probably a little different than most. I was there on bedrest for two weeks prior to delivery. I was in the high risk ward and was on strict bedrest - could only get up for the bathroom. They were fantastic to me there and took such great care of me. It was the best possible bedrest experience I could have ever imagined.

My delivery was very fast and since I was already in the hospital, they just wheeled me downstairs for me to have him. Then they did a quick room shuffle and put me in a recovery room. The whole birth experience and recovery experience really wasn't anything to write home about. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't the same super level of attention and care I'd received the previous two weeks.

DS was in the NICU there for two weeks and the NICU was amazing. They were so good to explain everything to us, to let us be involved in his care, to look the other way when we had a bunch of visitors, etc.

So overall, I spent a lot of time at Northside and the actual birth experience (what most people have) was a really small and uneventful part of it. The other care that we (ds and I) received while we were there was top notch.

Anyway, I know whatever you decide will end up being great. You've got my email so keep me posted!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I too delivered at Emory Eastside and used the Women's group of Gwinnett...I LOVED them.  There are 5 OBs...2 male 3 female...all wonderful.  Dr. Gould & Dr. Faulkner (both female) and Dr. Haberstroh (male) are my favorites! Dr Haberstroh ended up delivering me and was GREAT!!!!!
  • Options
    Oh...and they DO accept Blue Cross Blue Shield....Smile
  • Options
    Hi Mrs. Manners!!!!  Yes almost a year after our original conception date we're ready again!!  It just took some time.  We're in no hurry either, but I do feel ready which is exciting!  Your little one is getting so big!  I will email you to catch up, but thank you for the feedback!!
  • Options
    Awesome!  I'm calling Womens Group of Gwinnett tomorrow!  Thank you all SO much!!!
  • Options

I have only good things to say about Northside and my labor and delivery, but I had a VERY BAD Experience there regarding a miscarriage in the ER Room. I was told I miscarried by a very Unsympathetic ER Doctor--he gave me incorrect medical advice that could have adversely affected my baby.  Luckily I did not follow it and I did not miscarry.  My doctor who ended up delivering my baby at Northside was wonderful and he was appalled at the ER doctor.

My doctor is Dr. Bret Lewis--Northside/Northpoint OBGYN--amazing practice.  I've been going to him for over 10 years and it's because of him that we have been able to have chilidren  (he's a  miracle worker :))

• Options

I currently see an OB/GYN there at Emory and LOVE them. It is a group, Women's Group of Gwinnett. They are all awesome. I totally recommend them all. Dr. Faulkner, Dr. Smith and Dr. Gould are all my favorite. I delivered at Emory as well and everything went very smooth and I was so happy with the hospital and the staff. You can't go wrong with the Women's Group of Gwinnett. The nurses there are all really nice also. HTH.

• Options

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the old doctors. I delivered at Emory Eastside and had a great experience. I too have BCBS and could have gone to Northside or Emory Eastside. But living in Gwinnett, I didn't want to chance the fact that if something happened I would be in traffice. Plus it's easy for my parents to navigate to the hospital and not get lost if they went to Northside.

The practice I went to see is Gwinnett OBGYN of Associates. Office is located next to the hospital. I really loved the NPs there if you have to get in quickly and can't see the doctors.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My sister had both her kids at EE and had a good experience with the hopsital itself. Her first baby was with Gwinnett OBGYN and my sister does not recommend them to anyone. She and several of her friends had horrible experiences with them. Her second baby was delievered with Dr. Pohl who doesn't deliever at EE anymore but at Gwinett Medical. He was awesome and a very good doctor. He actually saved my sister and my niece's life during L&D.

I'm glad to hear you are ttc again. Good luck. You should come over to ttcal sometime. It's a great board that has gotten me through so much this year after my m/c.

Wendy

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If I were still living in Snellville when I had my 2 kids, i still would have gone to Northside.  Not b/c of anything to do with Emory Eastside, but b/c of a particular practice that delivers there - Gwinnett OB GYN.  The same one you provided the link for.  I've only seen one doctor there, and had a very unpleasant experience that was quite traumatizing.  Enough for me to RUN from that practice, and never go back.  I'm sure the other doctors are fine, but I'd be paralyzed with fear thinking that this same doctor would be on call for the delivery or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"