TTC after 35
Options

Poor responder diagnosis?

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've just had my first IUI, and am in my 2WW. I had a horrid experience with the doctor I chose (I really should have done more research first), and though I am trying to be optimistic, I'm preparing for a possible round 2.

The "horrid doctor" diagnosed me as a poor responder and said I wouldn't get better results than I got this first cycle (will explain below). Since I'm shopping for a new doctor because I do not trust the current one after a series of mistakes and lies, I wanted to get as much info online as possible so that I can make the right choice the second time around! Any insight people can give me based on their experience would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the info first, and my questions below:

1. I am 43. DH is 38 and has no issues. I am fairly regular. I never skip a period and my cycles normally last 25 to 27 days. Almost always 25. I suspect my luteal phase was a bit short, based on when I get EWCM (have not used OPKs). We tried to conceive naturally with no luck for about 2 years.

2. Last year my day 3 FSH was 5.5 and my estrogen was 33.7. The new doctor said it wasn't necessary to test it again or to test AMH so I have no idea what those numbers would be now.

3. My doctor stimmed me with gonadotropin injections, 225 UI of Menopur (FSH to LH from menopausal women). I thought it was too high a dose, but he said based on my age it was fine. The doctor did not do a US to monitor my antral follicles.

4. My doctor did no blood monitoring, and he did the first US on CD8, on the 6th day of hMG injections. I only had 4 follicles respond. Two in my left ovary were 6mm, and in my right ovary one was 6mm and one was 18mm.

Basically, I got a lead follicle that grew too fast. Based on this response, my doctor said I am a poor responder, but...

I am wondering if a different protocol, or stimming at a lower dose for longer, may have given me better results. And if I can possibly have better results on different months. Is there anyone out there who only produced one lead follicle one month, but had that change on a different cycle?

I found another thread from 2011 on this forum that gave me some hope, and I thought I'd ask to see what people know from their own experience!

I can't afford IVF and I know success rates for IUIs at 43 are very, very low, but I'm hoping I can be that 1-2%! 

Thanks so much! 

Re: Poor responder diagnosis?

• Options
    ksgsmuksgsmu member
    I would get a second opinion for sure.... I am a "poor responder" but that was after 3 medicated cycles I got that diagnosis!  I had something similiar happen to me regarding a high dosage and I had s good amount of follies growing until the lead one took it all and I O'ed super early.  Higher dosage doesn't mean better medicated cycle! What bothers me the most about your situation is the lack of monitoring you are getting!  I would switch RE's.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Hi! I am stimming right now and my fsh is higher than yours but I did get a better response. I started first with microdose Lupron and then two days later added bravelle and Menopur. I believe microdose Lupron is prescribed for older women and poor responders. I am on day 11 of stims and my follies are growing steadily each day. Maybe a protocol with microdose Lupron would help? Note: microdose Lupron and lupron are different. Last, regarding your luteal phase, how long is it from ovulation to your period? If you start spotting say before 10 or 12, you may have a luteal phase defect. You'll have to get your progesterone checked to determine that. I hope you like your new RE better. Good luck!
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Find a new RE. You deserve someone who will work hard to get you a kid not someone who is just going through the motions. I am worried he didn't monitor you at all.

I hope the new RE will be the trick. Good Luck.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"