Baby Showers

Shower/Registry Question

I am a FTM and my mom is throwing a shower for me.  In order to try to make it as convenient as possible for everyone (including family members who have limited access to cars) I have created registries at 3 different stores, BRU, BBB and Target.  My issue is that I had to put duplicate items on the different sites otherwise there wouldn't be much to choose from on each list and I really wanted everyone to have a decent selection to choose from (in a varied price range), assuming they want to purchase from the registry. I don't expect everyone to check out all three lists so I wanted to make sure there were the types of items people seem to like to purchase on each list (bouncers, play mats, etc) and also so they can see our theme/color preferences, should the choose to get something else not on the list.

My plan is to return/exchange any items that we get duplicates of because obviously someone purchasing off one registry, won't know if the same item was already purchased at another store. Every gift will be appreciated, but for most items, we will only need one so we'll return for store credit and use towards other necessities (diapers, etc).

Would anyone be offended/weirded out if they went to a shower and saw that someone else had given the same item as them?  What if you found out that your model/version was the one returned?  Or is this kind of par for the course with showers and registries?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

image Visit The Nest!

Re: Shower/Registry Question

• Honestly - you're overthinking it.  I wouldn't put a ton of things on ALL the registries. 

While "registry burps" happen and people show up w /the same gift and people understand, the fact that you're almost planning on this happening...   Eh, I can see people being a bit more frustrated that they were almost "set up" to get you a duploicate.

I know you want to offer an array of items, and that's great.  And SOME items on a couple registries might work fine (Im kind of thinking big ticket items) - but I wouldn't make a point to put most things on every registry

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• You really shouldn't put duplicate items on your registries. Yes, people will be offended or embarrassed if they give the same gift as someone else. These people are adults, if they want to get you a specific gift, they are smart enough to check your three registries to see if you have registered for whatever it is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, I would be annoyed.  I mean I understand that happens sometimes because of computer glitches or because people forget to let a cashier know it is on a registry, but if I went to a shower where it happened a lot ?  Yes, I would think it was rude and I would be really annoyed. 

Registries don't have to overlap.  If one store doesn't have a lot to choose from that is ok. 

• Try myregistry.com.

It combines all of your registries into one list.

Yes, guests get upset when they see dups of their gifts.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I am one of those people who usually does check each registry.  I'd be annoyed knowing that there was a good chance my gift would ultimately be returned due to duplicates, and that the duplicates were due being listed on multiple registries and not cashier/registry error. 

Married 8/2012
    DS born 12/2013 @ 41w2d
    BFP #2 EDD 10/2015

• Like PPs have said, I would try to not have too many duplicates, unless they are things like bottles, sheets, etc that you want more than one of. I would just try to put a good price assortment on each registry and people can go from there. If they're wanting to buy a specific item, they'll check more than one registry. Lots of things are given that aren't on the registry as well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can always look at your registries and delete items off other registries when something similar gets purchased on another one.  Then again, there is no surprise at the shower if you do that.  Just a thought.
  • ccamccam member
    I think that would be majorly confusing for people!  I would just register for the stuff you want, whichever store it is in.  People can always order online, too. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• I agree with PP, I put a ton of things on all of my registries. I think a lot of people don't buy off them because the selection is limited.

I also plan to look in in them and remove duplicate items from other registries once items have been purchased.

• jencnhjencnh member

I get so annoyed if I buy something on a registry and take it off the registry and then someone else gives it to them. I'd be annoyed at the other person that bought it. It's okay to have 3 smaller registries. I think big registries are too overwhelming for people. If you did decide to duplicate any items, you should give someone your registry info so they can monitor and when an item is bought that has a duplicate, then they can delete the duplicate (I hate when the MTB looks at her own registry and know everything she's getting before the shower happens).

• RibbitGrl930RibbitGrl930 member
    edited July 2013
    I agree with PPs. Only register for duplicates of things you would definitely use more than one of, but bigger ticket items I'd leave to just one between all registries. Can you imagine....say you have a travel system on two registries. Those aren't cheap so two groups of people all go in to buy those for you. Can you imagine the embarrassment if those two groups gave you those gifts at the same shower?

• KMB611KMB611 member
    You could always just register for the essentials (diapers, wipes, lotions, soaps, etc.) at places like Target. Target has many locations and would be easier for people to get to. People oftentimes never think to get those smaller items and those are the items you are going to use before you have to use a high chair or other item which may be used once the baby can sit up on his or her own.
  • Plus - returning stuff is such a pita. Who wants to spend a lot of time doing that?!

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • At the group's suggestion I have removed most of the items that are duplicate between the three registries and only left things that we would actually need multiples of. I tried to even out the quantity and variety of items on each list so that if someone only looks at one, they aren't only seeing the "non-fun" necessities. Hopefully no one that goes to one of the baby stores (BRU or BBB) are disappointed at the lack of options on the list as I am used to having much more to choose from when I have looked at registries in the past for others.  In my situation I have family both on my side and DH's that aren't super internet savy and have limited access to cars so I wanted to only put items at Target which are available in the store (not the case for many of the baby items they carry). Originally I had most things on the BRU list but I got a big guilt trip from my mom over the weekend about her family not having access to these "specialized" stores so I reacted by adding more to the Target list and didn't realize the issue until I looked at all the duplication.  Hence my concern and question.

Thanks for everyone's advice. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

image Visit The Nest!

• That sounds like a good soluion. Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about people being disappointed in any of your selections. Anyone who doesn't care for items on the registry will just buy whatever they want off-registry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"