April 2013 Moms

Another vent about race, sigh

My family is VERY multicultural.  My mom is biracial, my father is white, my step dad who adopted me is black, & his wife if Filipino. I was raised very aware of different cultures. MH is black. I was telling my MIL & SIL that we're going down to San Diego next month. We're going to go to Sea World, the zoo, & hangout on the beach.  They asked if I was taking DS in the water down there & I said of course. Then my MIL goes "UMM, black people don't be all up in the water like that". I said, "d*mn, now even water discriminates". She gave a fake laugh & said "well 50% of black people don't know how to swim". I said "well I guess your son is part of the other 50%" and she got pissy after that. I'm so tired of everyone being so caught up with race lately, especially after my vent from Saturday night.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Another vent about race, sigh

• Wow, that's just crazy. It really bothers me when people discriminate or make racial comments. My parents, who are white, used to make stupid comments and every time I would call them out on it, they would just say its how they were raised. Seriously? I want to smack them and tell them to grow the fluck up.

I haven't been swimming all year since DH doesn't trust public pools. I would love to take DD for swimming lessons but have no idea how I will convince him of that. We may have to go swimming in secret lol, just to avoid his rant about the possibility someone may have peed in the pool.
  • Oh good grief. Pretty sure that you weren't just going to toss him in the pool and expect Michael phelps nor would you If he was white. What the hell is WRONG with people.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • keadokeado member
    She sounds lovely. Don't you wish people like that had a mute button????
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • elbouelbou member
    imagekeado:
    She sounds lovely. Don't you wish people like that had a mute button????

This.

And "50% of black people don't know how to swim" sounds to me like it has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with parents not making sure they learned! 

• Lol, she sounds like a fun person to be around.

My aunt and mother live in the same house, my aunt's husband's family are like (They are all black) they always say black people don't do this or that. Kinda irks me. They always call my cousin's and my kid whities or casper, which gets under my skin too. Everyone in my family is racist to a degree, except for me because I honestly wish the whole defining people as certain races would just go away.

My aunt still says 'n***a this and n***a that.' My mom doesn't AS much. To me it is half funny and half embarrassing seeing two old women, who are white, listening to hardcore rap and talking like they are straight out of Compton. I think ignorance like what your MIL has and what most of my family have is from where they grew up maybe?  Then again, I lived in ghettos and poverty and talk like a 'white girl'. So I don't know if they just want to act that way.

Sorry your MIL is like that, it does suck when people who are supposed to be close to you act like that.. and part of you do not want to call them out on their ignorance cause it usually turns into an argument.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"