High-Risk Pregnancy

Cerclage

I am only 5 weeks 3 days right now, but once I hit 12-13 weeks I'll be getting a cerclage.  We lost our daughter at 22 weeks due to an incompetent cervix in March.  I know they say with a cerclage there is an 85-90% success rate, but I'm wondering how many ladies here have successfully made it to term, or very close due to a cerclage.  A friend of mine who had the exact same situation is currently on modified bed rest because her cervix has started to shorten and open around 17 weeks, which is I think when it started last pregnancy (she has a cerclage now).

Did any of you end up on bed rest for part of the pregnancy?  I know I shouldn't worry yet or borrow trouble, but I am worried for my friend, and for myself.  I was feeling really confident about the cerclage saving our baby this time, but now I'm getting scared.  It doesn't help that we're already this early and I had to take off two days of work due to unexplained bleeding (bleeding has stopped and all looks well on the ultrasound).  I get 6 weeks off once the baby is born, and I worry what will happen if I need to be off work on bedrest at some point.  Obviously the health of my baby is more important than my job, but I just have all these fears swimming around in my head.

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

Re: Cerclage

• Sorry for your loss I know the pain your felt and continue to feel as I loss my son last aug 21wks. I am currently 22wks and had my cerclage put in at 14wks and progesterone injections starting 16wks. I am currently on bedrest because my cervix shorten from 4cm3cm its still in the normal side but dr isn't taking any chances.

We have alot of success stories in this board even woman who were carrying multiples with cerclage.

About work I suggest you see if your jobs provides disability for possible bedrest.

I wish you and your friend all the best and a happy and healthy 9months. My friend and I had the same situation happen to us last yr. we are actually pregnant again. I am 22wks she is 18 we both have cerclage and on bed rest : she is my support system.

• Hi I'm so sorry for your lost. I had a cerclage placed at 22w my first pregnancy and was on bedrest and made it 39w.

I am on my second pregnancy. Had a cerclage placed at 16w. My cervix has shortened to 1.6 and I am at 31w. In just the last few weeks, my doctor had out me on modified bedrest. I can still work but no lifting, standing, walking. I just have to sit most time.

Start limiting your activity about 12w. Don't exercise, lift things and just try to relax a lot. This way it wil hopefully stay long for longer. I hope this helps .

I'm here if you need to talk.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi. Also lost babies at 22w. Currently 26w pregnant with a cerclage done at 13w and p17 shots since 16w. Was put on bedrest because of full previa at 14w and have been at home since then. Laying down and barely moving around the house. You should be fine if you have the cerclage and shots but take it easy and stay off your feet, it's for a good cause, especially for us with previous losses. Stay hydrated too.
  • I had short cervix issues with my twin pregnancy, but my OB and MFM don't do cerclages on multiples pregnancies. I was on bedrest from 22w-35w, and delivered at 36w4d (twins are now almost 3 years old).

I now also have a 1-month old singleton baby. With that pregnancy, the dr's hoped my short cervix wouldn't reappear, but at 20w, it was shortening, funneling, and soft, so I had a rescue cerclage placed at that time. I was on strict bedrest from 20 weeks to 36 weeks when my cerclage was removed. I delivered a healthy baby boy at 37w6d due to other complications not related to my cervix (relating to rare blood/jaundice issues), and at the time, my cervix was still long and closed.

Good luck! I'm so sorry for your loss. 

• Hi, I am so sorry for you loss. I had an emergency cerclage placed 20 weeks due to IC. I was on modified bed rest bc I only had .5cm of cervix left when they placed the cerclage. I delivered at 38w 3d bc of my blood pressure. I now have a dang cute 10 month old daughter! I also bleed for around 2 weeks in the begining of my pregnancy.

Good luck to you hope you have an awesome pregnancy!

View Full Size Image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Lurking and thought I could share my story. I had an emergent cerclage at 21 weeks due to IC. Cervix was shortened to 1.5. I went on bed rest and pelvic rest for the rest of my pregnancy. I delivered at 35 weeks after PPROM PTL and I was dilated to 2 cm with the cerclage in. I believe that preventative cerclages tend to be more successful since the changes in the cervix haven't begun yet. I've heard preventative ones don't typically require bed rest however it will depend on the individual and doctor and how the pregnancy is progressing. Also I am sorry for your loss and my thoughts and prayers for you. Best of luck with this pregnancy!
  • I just had my cerclage placed last Friday. My DD was born at 23 weeks because of IC. So my cerclage was scheduled, like yours. I am already on modified bed rest and pelvic rest. At my pre-op appt my cervix was already softening and shortening, at only 12 weeks. 

Gravity is an IC's worst enemy, so some form of bed rest is almost be expected from what I've been reading. I share your fears and hopefully you can assuage some of them as your pregnancy progresses.  

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • I got an emergency cerclage at 21 weeks and was on bedrest for 2 weeks following then have been cleared for more movement.  Currently at 28 weeks and counting my blessings although just also got diagnosed with GD (just failed the 2 hour test by 2 points..grr!)  Best wishes for your situation!
  • I am very sorry for your loss. I had a preventative cerclage with my son at 14 weeks.  Previously, I lost my daughter at 20 weeks.  I also started progesterone shots at 16 weeks (with my second pregnancy with my son- with my daughter I was too far gone when we found out I had it).  All was well until about 23 weeks when my cervix shortened to basically nothing and that is when I got put on strict bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy, but I made it beyond cerclage removal and delivered a very healthy boy at 38.3 weeks.  Yes, it has been hard financially being off work, but it has been so worth it to have my son!  If either you or your husband have Aflac or can still get it, I highly recommend it.  Also if you are not already on pelvic rest, I would recommend starting that also.  It was hard, but my husband and I stopped having sex the day I got my BFP.  Most docs will say you can until you get the cerclage, but I had some unexplained bleeding when I was pregnant with my daughter early on before we knew about the IC so we just decided not to risk it.
    If you need additional support, search for Incompetent Cervix support group on Facebook and request to be added.   LOTS of cerclage success stories there!
    Best of luck to you.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Thank you all for your input.  It was making me very nervous if I had to be off work for an extended period of time because I don't have much FMLA left (I took 5 weeks off when my daughter was stillborn).  But I decided not to worry about it because my baby comes before my job and we'll just deal somehow.  I'm sorry for all of your losses but it gives me hope that the cerclage can and has given you your rainbows!
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• keena28keena28 member
    edited July 2013
    So sorry for your loss. I had a 22 week loss almost 6 years ago. I had my cerclage (triple stitch) placed at 13 weeks, and I am 20 weeks tomorrow. No bed rest. I have also been doing daily progesterone suppositories since 16 weeks. I have remained working 40 hours a week and going to school. I do take it easy though and don't overdo it. So far my cervix is holding strong. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"