May 2013 Moms
Options

neck strength

How much neck strength does your LO have? I am starting to think we are behind the game a bit as not much progress has been made. 

He hates tummy time so we do it on my chest and on the boppy but I just dont feel like a whole lot of difference has been made in the last 9 weeks.

On my chest he just roots around and on the boppy he just sucks on it.  When we put him in a sitting position he has pretty good control just not lifting it up off the floor.  

photo siggy_zpsf288824b.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: neck strength

• Options
    kmcd23kmcd23 member
    Sounds the same as us, but the doc said he's doing good.

He hates tummy time, and roots on my chest. But he holds it up so well and steady at my shoulder and when we sit him up.

Doc said to break up tummy time into more frequent, shorter sessions to try and combat his fussiness and still work on strength.
  • Options

My LO can do about 5 minutes of tummy time at this point, but we had to work up to it. I used a timer and would make myself not pick her up for 2 minutes, then once she was doing well with that move to 3 minutes, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about your little guy, just keep working on tummy time on the floor. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO is the same way. He has really good head control when I'm holding him at my shoulder (which is his favorite way to be held so he's in that position a lot), but when I put him on his tummy on his play mat he hardly picks up his head. He just went to the pedi on Tuesday and she put him on his tummy for a little bit and she said he's doing fine so I'm not too worried. 

But I do have a suggestion that might help. My LO loves looking in mirrors so I got the  Sassy crib and floor mirror on Amazon. I also got a new activity gym that came with a tummy time pillow. (I'm sure you can buy just the pillow by itself.) I put him on his tummy with his chest propped up on the pillow and I put the mirror on the floor in front of him. We've only been using both of those since yesterday and he already holds his head up so much better! The mirror gives him more motivation to hold up his head and the pillow seem to really help him be more comfortable on his tummy. Just wanted to share whats working for him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickersCafeMom Tickers

• Options
    imagebowman958:
    My LO can do about 5 minutes of tummy time at this point, but we had to work up to it. I used a timer and would make myself not pick her up for 2 minutes, then once she was doing well with that move to 3 minutes, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about your little guy, just keep working on tummy time on the floor.nbsp;

This, we just do 5 min increments a couple times a day. He gets frustrated. I do notice he is getting stronger though,so small increments helps.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I let her do tummy time only one to two minutes at a time and she had plenty of neck strength. She holds her head very well. I think some babies take a bit longer no matter how much time they get. The doctor usually checks things like this at our visits.
  • Options
    imagemakeupgeek:

My LO is the same way. He has really good head control when I'm holding him at my shoulder (which is his favorite way to be held so he's in that position a lot), but when I put him on his tummy on his play mat he hardly picks up his head. He just went to the pedi on Tuesday and she put him on his tummy for a little bit and she said he's doing fine so I'm not too worried. 

But I do have a suggestion that might help. My LO loves looking in mirrors so I got the  Sassy crib and floor mirror on Amazon. I also got a new activity gym that came with a tummy time pillow. (I'm sure you can buy just the pillow by itself.) I put him on his tummy with his chest propped up on the pillow and I put the mirror on the floor in front of him. We've only been using both of those since yesterday and he already holds his head up so much better! The mirror gives him more motivation to hold up his head and the pillow seem to really help him be more comfortable on his tummy. Just wanted to share whats working for him.

I am going to check out that mirror. Thanks! 

• Options
    You're welcome! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickersCafeMom Tickers

• Options

LO was fussy about tummy time for a long time too.. she would cry in frustration and it would break my heart, but pedi said to do it even if she fussed.  She also said that there's a big difference between laying on dad's chest and tummy time on the floor.  She said it's really important that they're fighting gravity from that flat position.

We've been sure to make time for it a few times a day.  She is really calm w/ tummy time now, and can hold her head up completely to look around.  I like makeup's suggestion of using a mirror!  I usually prop up a high contrast book that provides her with some motivation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    S hates her tummy time too. I keep doing it though even when it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. She can hold her head more or less steady when she's on my shoulder, but as soon as I flip her over onto her tummy she screams. I'm hoping she starts to like tummy time soon!
  • Options
    Does anyone do it right after they eat?  I have been avoiding it thinking that he will spit up but that is when he is happiest. 
  • Options
    imageohgrl95:
    Does anyone do it right after they eat? nbsp;I have been avoiding it thinking that he will spit up but that is when he is happiest.nbsp;

We did it tonight, probably about 20 mins after he ate? I figured that was long enough for his stomach to settle and the pressure of being on it wouldn't bug him. I don't know if it's because we had just woken up from a super long nap or what, but he did the best today. Tolerated it much longer and finally decided to actually do something with that noggin of his.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"