May 2013 Moms
Options

Torticollis anyone?

My 1 month old has mild torticollis in her neck so she's going to have to go to get pt to correct it. The doc didnt seen too concerned but if course being a ftm I'm worried. I had forceps and I think it's from that and Im so mad at myself for not getting a c section when the ob gave me the option.

Re: Torticollis anyone?

• Options
    Try not to worry or blame yourself. I didn't have forceps or any kind of assistance with my first and she got it. It's good you caught it early, so they can help her out now. It's usually just some simple stretches and positioning to correct it.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wjvwjv member
    My close friends son had this and she did not have any forceps, so try not to blame yourself.  He is fine.  He had to go to PT and do stretches ect. and his head/neck is perfectly normal.  He did not have to wear a helmet or anything, just had to do exercises.
    Anniversary Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    babykkbabykk member

::Lurking from July::

My DD had torticollis. We discovered it when she was about 6 or 8 weeks old. I had a c-section because she was breech. The pediatrician said it was either from her positioning in my belly or delivery.  I think it was from how she was positioned, she was always the same way. We went to PT and did stretches at home as well. We finally were done with PT appointments when she was about 10 months old. She never had to have a helmet and had/has no facial deformities.

My advice to you; keep up with the stretches at home. Baby will not like them, but it helps so much.  It was nothing you could have helped, forceps or not, c-section or not. I understand your worry though, hang in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am starting to think LO has it. He always sleeps with his head cocked the same way. Going to ask doctor about it next week at appt. I had a c section. I have heard its usually from their positioning inside rather than labor.
    From what I have read online it's fairly easy to fix. Don't blame yourself.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    babykkbabykk member
    imageNJAZgirl:
    I am starting to think LO has it. He always sleeps with his head cocked the same way. Going to ask doctor about it next week at appt. I had a c section. I have heard its usually from their positioning inside rather than labor.

A lot of times they will have extra dirt/sweat particles on that side and it is very tight if you try to straighten out their neck. PT is pretty easy, it's keeping up with it at home that can be challenging especially knowing it makes baby uncomfortable!

• Options
    imagebabykk:

::Lurking from July::

My DD had torticollis. We discovered it when she was about 6 or 8 weeks old. I had a c-section because she was breech. The pediatrician said it was either from her positioning in my belly or delivery.  I think it was from how she was positioned, she was always the same way. We went to PT and did stretches at home as well. We finally were done with PT appointments when she was about 10 months old. She never had to have a helmet and had/has no facial deformities.

My advice to you; keep up with the stretches at home. Baby will not like them, but it helps so much.  It was nothing you could have helped, forceps or not, c-section or not. I understand your worry though, hang in there!

This. DS1 had it and we went PT a few times to learn how to do stretches at home. It's usually the positioning in the womb that causes it, not the delivery... don't blame yourself. It's an easy fix if you keep up with the stretches!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imagebabykk:
    imageNJAZgirl:

A lot of times they will have extra dirt/sweat particles on that side and it is very tight if you try to straighten out their neck. PT is pretty easy, it's keeping up with it at home that can be challenging especially knowing it makes baby uncomfortable!

Yup. That's what we have going on. It's not real severe but that side is definitely harder to clean. Do you think I should call sooner, or is it okay to wait til his 2 mo appt next week?
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagebabykk:
    imageNJAZgirl:

Sorry for the double post. Stupid bump mobile
  • Options
    babykkbabykk member
    imageNJAZgirl:
    imagebabykk:
    imageNJAZgirl:

Yup. That's what we have going on. It's not real severe but that side is definitely harder to clean. Do you think I should call sooner, or is it okay to wait til his 2 mo appt next week?

You could wait, but I would say the sooner the better! If you can't get in earlier, take a baby washcloth and roll it up. Place it between his shoulder and face so he isn't so slouchy. Good luck!!!!

• Options

It seems pretty common, nothing to blame yourself about and a c-section most likely wouldn't have made a difference.  I take DS to therapy a lot and my friend's daughter had it, but just stretching will get their neck back to mid-line.  

Nothing big to worry about, just an extra wrench in the journey! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"