July 2013 Moms
Options

Etiquette on Water Breaking in Public

Something non super serious to debate!

What's the proper etiquette if your water breaks in public?!

-Clean it up behind you?

-Blame it on someone else?

-Sheepishly walk away?

-Call maintenance/custodian?

What would/or have you done?!

If I was with my husband or friend say shopping- I would probably waddle away for privacy and have them awkwardly tell someone what happened and/or help clean up.

If I was at work (very small office) I would be so embarrassed, and would probably make a joke that I will replace that chair (if I were sitting) and would try to clean it up after myself as we don't have maintenance/custodians. I couldn't imagine saying to one of my co-workers "Sooo...my water just broke, so I'm gonna go on and get out of here to have a baby, you wouldn't mind taking care of that for me though would you? Perfect! I'll let you know how it goes!!" lol 

Anniversary
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Etiquette on Water Breaking in Public

• Options
    Hahahaha I've actually thought about this and wondered the same thing. Curious what others have to say. If it broke at a store, I would def say something to an employee.
  • Options
    imageThompsonHM2:
    Something non super serious to debate!nbsp;What's the proper etiquette if your water breaks in public?!Clean it up behind you?Blame it on someone else?Sheepishly walk away?Call maintenance/custodian?What would/or have you done?!nbsp;If I was with my husband or friend say shopping I would probably waddle away for privacy and have them awkwardly tell someone what happened and/or help clean up.If I was at work very small office I would be so embarrassed, and would probably make a joke that I will replace that chair if I were sitting and would try to clean it up after myself as we don't have maintenance/custodians. I couldn't imagine saying to one of my coworkers "Sooo...my water just broke, so I'm gonna go on and get out of here to have a baby, you wouldn't mind taking care of that for me though would you? Perfect! I'll let you know how it goes!!" lolnbsp;

The last 3 sentences made me laugh so hard I peed!!! So funny!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom's water broke in her office at work when she was pregnant with me.  She called her janitorial department before she left to let them know what happened.  They came in and mopped up, but she just had them toss the chair and bought herself a new one when she came back.  They also had given her an older chair near the end of her pregnancy, at her request, so if it did happen it wasn't a big deal.  She had her own office and everything so I don't know what I would do if I worked somewhere I had to share everything.  If mine breaks at work I'm not worried since it is a family owned business lol.  However DH has made me sit on a towel in our new car for a month now!!
  • Options

I work from home so I've got that much covered.

I'm worried about being out grocery shopping or working out at the gym! 

I'd definitely let someone know it happened, that's for sure... b/c walking through someone elses amniotic fluid would gross me out. 

I'm thinking of practicing the old "buddy system"...you know now go anywhere without someone else, lol.  I feel like it would be so much better if I had someone else with me when it happened.

All that being said...I hope my water either breaks at home or it's a slow trickle b/c a gush of water in public would make me blush...haha.

• Options

imageLaurendag:
    I'd say tell an employee or custodian. Let's make a new rule, if you'd clean up your puke there, you clean up your other fluids. Yep, that sounds like a good rule

Yes haha good rule!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options

Let's go with the PPP and the PPJ plan.

Wear a pre-emptive poise pad for the last week. (Hopefully that would be strong enough to absorb all of the fluid!)

When you go to the grocery store, carry a Pre-emptive Pickle Jar around with you and just drop it over the mess... alert a store employee and make your exit!

Maybe we should all just carry a jar of pickles everywhere we go... 

• Options
    imageEagleWife:

Wear a pre-emptive poise pad for the last week. (Hopefully that would be strong enough to absorb all of the fluid!)

When you go to the grocery store, carry a Pre-emptive Pickle Jar around with you and just drop it over the mess... alert a store employee and make your exit!

haha I also loved this idea!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options
    imagejackson290721:

imageLaurendag:
    I'd say tell an employee or custodian.
    Let's make a new rule, if you'd clean up your puke there, you clean up your other fluids.

Yep, that sounds like a good rule

Yes haha good rule!  

Agree!

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageEagleWife:

LOL I am actually dying of laughter at the pickle coverup- genius!!

also just a reminder- this is totally posted to get a laugh not meant to be serious

Anniversary

• Options
    imageThompsonHM2:

LOL I am actually dying of laughter at the pickle coverup- genius!!

also just a reminder- this is totally posted to get a laugh not meant to be serious

Totally laughing with you :) It's amazing the indignities that we must face to create another human. 

• Options
    I had my friend come grocery shopping with me today for this very reason! Luckily, the trip was a success.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    imageEagleWife:

i just downsized my purse, no room for pickles! I love this idea, though. LOL, 

• Options
    imageEagleWife:

lol...brilliant!  

Formerly the untaggable Mrs. D S Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    LOL I love the idea to blame it on someone else, particularly a male coworker.
  • Options
    Honestly never thought about this....lol....I think the pickle jar is brilliant!
  • Options

imagejemasa33:
    LOL I love the idea to blame it on someone else, particularly a male coworker.

Or a post menopausal woman Embarrassed oh thats bad lol

Anniversary

• Options
    Mine was broken during labour and nothing came out right then until I was almost pushing I remember stupidly telling the nurse "I'm so sorry I can't stop peeing, I can't help myself, the pee is coming out". I later understood why she giggled.

But yeah, I would probably just inform staff and not go back to the store for awhile.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Since I rarely get to go anywhere without my girls, I wonder if I could just blame it on one of them?  Wonder if they would mind?  Then again, my 6 year old would probably be as loud as she could "Ewww!  Mommy just peed in her pants!"
  • Options
    Not that it really matters, but the grocery store chain I used to manage had a bodily fluid policy. Always had to be mngmnt. I may or may not have paid off a couple courtesy clerks in my time....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"