June 2012 Moms

No bottle No milk

It's been five days since DS has had a bottle. He went cold turkey. He never put up a fight about it. But he will not drink it out of a sippy. He "picks" at it maybe getting 8 to 10 oz a day. I was told it would pick back up but so far today he's only had about 5 oz.

I put two sippys that are exactly the same in front of him when we were getting ready for a nap. One had milk and the other water. He grabbed the water. I took the milk one and drank some and said yum this one's better and then swapped them. He took one drink and reached for the water.

Should I go back to bottles?

Re: No bottle No milk

• We took the bottle away a couple of weeks ago and are having a similar problem. DS loves drinking water from a sippy. The milk has been a struggle.

He wouldn't drink any at first. But lately he's drinking more. It's still not enough but the pedi says as long as he gets dairy from other sources [yogurt, cheese] it's ok.

I wouldn't go back to the bottle. I feel like it will only make it harder to take it away later.

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • APriceAPrice member

I wouldn't go back to the bottle...if he knows you are going to give him a bottle with milk in it he will just hold out.

We were having a similar issue where DS wouldn't drink anything from a sippy cup besides water so the pedi said to give him no options but milk while the transition from bottle to sippy cup happens. This way he wouldn't hold out for water in a sippy cup and simply drink what we were offering him...just milk. After a full day of being on a drinking strike (or so it seemed to us) he gave in and just stated drinking the milk from a sippy cup. We didn't force him or the issue and just held out (it was a battle of wills for sure), he finally realized that all he was getting was milk in a sippy cup and we haven't looked back.

Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm glad we're not the only one having this problem.  All DD wants to drink is water.  She's refusing her bottle which she usually loves and freaks out when I make it. 

• imageAPrice:

I wouldn't go back to the bottle...if he knows you are going to give him a bottle with milk in it he will just hold out.

We were having a similar issue where DS wouldn't drink anything from a sippy cup besides water so the pedi said to give him no options but milk while the transition from bottle to sippy cup happens. This way he wouldn't hold out for water in a sippy cup and simply drink what we were offering him...just milk. After a full day of being on a drinking strike (or so it seemed to us) he gave in and just stated drinking the milk from a sippy cup. We didn't force him or the issue and just held out (it was a battle of wills for sure), he finally realized that all he was getting was milk in a sippy cup and we haven't looked back.

Good luck! 

Thanks - I'm going to try this and just give her milk. Maybe she'll learn to drink milk.

• imagegiggles0918:
    imageAPrice:

Good luck! 

Thanks - I'm going to try this and just give her milk. Maybe she'll learn to drink milk.

I started this yesterday too. Excellent idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"