Food & Nutrition
Options

BF baby won't take a bottle

I have a 10 week old son & have been almost exclusively breastfeeding. I'm on maternity leave until August. I'll be going back to work 5 days a week for 8 plus hours. When he was 2 weeks old his pediatrician said we could start bottle feeding expressed milk because he was breastfeeding so well & gaining weight. LO did great switching back and forth. We started having my husband feed him a bottle at bedtime. Then I guess a week after this LO started being awake for longer amounts of time & became fussy at dinner time. So I just starting breastfeeding him exclusively & we didn't use the bottle with him again until he was 5 weeks old; we went out for dinner & my MIL was able to get him to take the bottle, but with some difficulty. A couple weeks later I started leaving him with different family members throughout the week in the mornings while I went to the gym. He ate small amounts of milk with the first 2 people he stayed with. And after that he absolutely would not take the bottle anymore. I start work in the first week of August & am really becoming stressed that LO won't eat while I'm at work & will not be a happy baby for whoever he is staying with.

What we have tried:
- We started with the Avent bottle, which he had no problem with up until he started refusing them. Since then we have tried Playtex Vent Aire, Playtex Drop-Ins, NUK, Breastflow, Medela nipples that came with the breast pump, Parent Choice, Gerber newborn latex nipple, Dr. Brown. Now we are trying Tommee Tippee.
- He has never liked or wanted a pacifier.
- Have tried feeding him with me, with me out of the house, with my husband, my mom & his mom, my sister in law, my aunt, my husband's grandma.
- Have tried with him sitting up, lying in the cradle position, lying on his back, facing forward on a lap, switching the bottle during breastfeeding, outside, in the living room, in his room.
- We tried an afternoon of no breastfeeding & just the bottle. He screamed when the bottle was put to his mouth.
- Now I am trying just offering the bottle during morning feedings when he is calm - placing the bottle to his lips while breastfeeding. Sometimes he's ok with it there and gnaws on it. Other times he starts fussing. When I put the bottle in his mouth while he's dozing off he keeps it in his mouth but that's it. One time he sucked for a few seconds while he was dozing off then spit out the bottle. I've tried putting the bottle in his mouth while he's been asleep.
- I'll still keep trying the current method we're trying, but if it still doesn't work I am considering buying more bottles & nipples off of Amazon to see if he likes those. Otherwise, will we have to resort to using a cup or medicine dropper since I'll be going back to work?

I am happy breastfeeding has gone so well & enjoyable with us. But now I'm pretty sad he won't eat while I'm away. Does anybody have any advice?? Thank you so much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"