Minnesota Babies

Large Hospital vs Small Hospital

I don't have an OB/GYN (I've always gone to a family medicine Physician's Assistant) and I'm looking for advice on how to choose. I am pregnant with my first child and am scared of the unknown path before me (thanks to all of the pregnancy/delivery horror stories people feel compelled to share). I'm leaning towards Northfield Hospital Birth Center due to the small size and all female staff of OB/GYNs. On the other hand a hospital like Fairview Ridges in Burnsville is much larger and better equipped to handle more high risk situations. What is the better of the two choices?

Re: Large Hospital vs Small Hospital

• I think there are a few things to take into consideration when making that decision.  If you are having a high risk pregnancy or if your baby has a known medical issue then it is a no brainer to go to a better equipped hospital.  If you have having a healthy pregnancy then I think it is just personal preference - where will you be more comfortable? 

Personally, I felt most comfortable being at a larger hospital in very close proximity to Children's.  If there was an issue with one of my girls I would have wanted the best care as quickly as possible with the best available equipment.  I will also add that I didn't have a birth plan or expectations other than an epidural and a healthy baby.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • imagembgreenwalt:
    I think there are a few things to take into consideration when making that decision.nbsp; If you are having a high risk pregnancy or if your baby has a known medical issue then it is a no brainer to go to a better equipped hospital.nbsp; If you have having a healthy pregnancy then I think it is just personal preference where will you be more comfortable?nbsp; Personally, I felt most comfortable being at a larger hospital in very close proximity to Children's.nbsp; If there was an issue with one of my girls I would have wanted the best care as quickly as possible with the best available equipment.nbsp; I will also add that I didn't have a birth plan or expectations other than an epidural and a healthy baby.

This. I will always choose a large, more equipped hospital over a small center. Just my opinion.

• Loading the player...
  • Years back when I was having DD one of the Bumpies posted the joke of going into the hospital to check in to have her baby and said to the receptionist "Hi, I'm here to get my epidural", the receptionist replied back "Don't you mean you're here to have a baby?", the gal replied "I can deliver the baby in a barn but I can only get an epidural here!"... When all is said and done, you're the one doing all the work. At the point where you're ready to push, you'd likely care less if you were in the middle of a packed theater for whether it's a male/female OB.. I've got a male OB and he was AWESOME and came highly recommended to me as the person you want in your corner should any complications arise, which was true! IMO, if Northfield is where you want to deliver, go there. If something changes and you become high risk, then obviously consider one of the larger options in the region. If you're going as far north as Burnsville, just keep going a few more minutes and head straight to Children's...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had my daughter at Ridges and had a great experience there.  Pregnant w/ #2 and having that one there too.  I felt very comfortable with the care we both received and my nurse was amazing.
  • I toured Burnsville today and I'm wondering how much smaller they can get. I was considering Northfield too but if they are smaller I'd rather not. We just moved here and my first two were born in Des Moines. I miss Methodist hospital so much. It must be huge in comparison. My first was born 6 weeks early so a Nicu on sight is important to me. I can't imagine being even more separated from my baby if they had to be transferred to another location for care.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"