High-Risk Pregnancy

GD carb #'s

I just hit the 200lb mark this week and also attended the GD seminar. Based on my activity and weight/height the diabetes educator put me at 30g breakfast, 30g snacks, lunch 45-60g, and dinner 45g. She told us we're not supposed to count veggies as carbs. She said that whole grains are best, but in the end a carb is a carb and this week is about finding out what works for us. Based on what I've been tracking, those #'s seem high to me. Any input would be appreciated.

She also said that Dr's putting restrictions like no milk or fruit with breakfast is just the Dr. delaying the inevitable. She said protein amounts didn't matter for most meals, but to make sure to have a fair amount with my night time snack. 

Re: GD carb #'s

• My fasting numbers been between 80-90, but I've been having 15g carbs as a nighttime snack. I am going to try 30g tonight and see how that goes for me. Do you have any good examples of how you're getting 30g of carbs for snacks..I'd greatly appreciate it!

I found Luna Bars that are 28g of carbs and those will be something I can grab as a "just in case" to put in my purse if I might be out later than expected.

• imagetricia560:

I have to disagree with her on the "carb is a carb" thing to some extent.  My numbers were always much higher when I cheated and ate simple carbs; eating fiber and protein really did help me offset the carbs.

I agree with this. In fact, my nutritionist says to subtract the grams of fiber from the amount of carbs in a given item for the "true carb count".

For example, if a Whole Wheat English Muffin has 30g Carbs, but also 5g of Fiber the net carbs are only 25g.

I too have higher numbers when trying to eat white rice, bread, or pasta. Whole grains don't give me issues.  

• Loading the player...
  • I dont understand the comment about delaying the inevitable by eliminating fruit at breakfast. Blood sugars are higher in the AM so its really just working with nature and ensuring you dont overload your system with simple sugars. 

My numbers arent that different than yours. I'm currently 160. Was 150 went I went on the diet.

B: 30; S: 15-30; L: 45-60; S: 15, D: 60 

Seems like my snacks are lower than yours yet my dinner is higher. How many calories are you allowed / day? 

• She didn't give us a calorie amount. I am guessing it's around 2000. I have an appointment with my Dr. tomorrow and I am going to ask her some of these questions.

• my diet is this amount of carbs (has been changed twice so far)

breakfast - 15

morning snack - 30

lunch - 45

afternoon snack - 15

dinner - 45

evening snack - 15 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • my number of carbs is the same as yours but I got completely different advice from the diabetes center.  I was told no fruit or milk at breakfast but since my after breakfast numbers were low I was allowed to up my carbs from 30 to 45 so I just drink milk with a special k breakfast sandwich and that puts me at 32 and I usually get around 105 when I check 2 hours later.  for snacks I stay at 25-30g.  usually I'll eat wheat crackers with cheese.  I was told complex carbs are better than simple carbs and not to go below the minimum even if I get high readings.  also almonds with my night time snack will usually put me in the 70's for my fasting.  I would talk to your doctor for sure.  mine still wants me to check 4 times a day even though my numbers are good because it can get worse the further along you are.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I talked to my Dr. today and she wants me to just go through this week with testing and eating as the dietician suggested. I meet with the dietician again next Tuesday, so things could change based on my numbers.

I was eating a lot less carbs over the past two weeks, so I am thinking that my body just might have to adjust...

Thanks for all the input! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"