TTC after 35
Options

HSG today-my experience and Polyp question

Hi Ladies!

I just thought I'd share my HSG experience with you since I read so many stories about it and FREAKED myself out over it.

For me, it was no big deal, nothing worse than a pap smear. My doctor explained the entire procedure with me. He explained how the cathether (sp) will slighthy pinch when he attaches it to my cervix and then the actual procedure should take place. He basically went through it step by step and when he attached the cathether, and told me, I responded "oh, that was it?" LOL. Honestly, I felt like getting your ears pierced hurt worse. I didn't feel any of the dye, and I had no cramping.

The worst part of the entire thing was the anticipation.I made myself so nervous that I wound up taking a Xanax before the procedure.

So, i got the results right away, my tubes were clear, thank goodness, but he mentioned he saw a small polyp. I'm really not sure what that is, but he said he may or may not want to remove it, so now I have something a little more to be worried about. He did mention that he would look at all my charts again, and if he didn't think I needed it, he didn't want to do the procedure.

Had anyone else had a polyp removed? what is the process like? Now I have something new to obsess over. Thanks ladies

At the end of the day, i am SO relieved that I got the HSG done, it really is not that bad at all.

Love this forum btw...

Re: HSG today-my experience and Polyp question

• Options

When I got my HSG it came back unclear. I can't remember what the RE called it. My HSG was pretty much like yours pretty easy on me.

I had to have a water ultra sound (can't remember the name). That is when they saw the polyp it looked like one big one. The RE recommended surgery as he said polyps can act like IUD's and keep me from getting pregnant. I did have a c/p last Oct and that is what we think happened.

Anyways I did the surgery, it was pretty easy on me. I showed up at the RE's they did the surgery in their surgery room. I'm told that makes it easier with being put under. The hardest part was getting that dang IV put in, my veins kept bursting. I went out for lunch after the surgery, as I felt fine no nausea nothing. Went home was back to normal pretty much right away. I didn't even take the pain meds they gave me, plain old Ibuprofen was enough.

My result for the biopsy turned out to be that I was not ovulating, that is what caused the lining to thicken and polyps(had many) to grow. I would not have been able to have a pregnancy take hold.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options

Thanks for the quick response dannie! I think I have to go into the same ultrasound ( the water one) next week, so I'm hoping the polyp isn't that big.

We'll see!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Good luck, I hope you get better news then I did.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    Congrats! I think going in scared out of your mind helps because then it's not as bad as you think. At least that's been my experience. I bet the Xanax helped. I didn't think it was awful but I wouldn't like to do it again. I think the mock embryo transfer which is similar was bad only because I was not prepared.
    Me:39 Dx LPD, Fibroid, AMA and all that goes with that. H:37 Dx low motility and low morphology. TTC since 3/12. Clomid 8/12 and 9/12: BFN. 11/12 on a break for Myomectomy sched. 11/26. Resume TTC early 2013.
  • Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    I'm glad your HSG went well.  Good luck with the polyp findings.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    Glad your HSG was no big deal! I was in tears with mine :( Good luck with the polyp!

My Ovulation Chart

Me: 41 DH: 46. We are TTC our 1st, started July '11,
    3 cycles clomid with Ob,
    1 cycle Tamoxifen with Ob,
    Diagnosed PCOS 11/5/12
    clomid, trigger & timed bd 12/12 BFN
    1st clomid IUI 1/4/13 BFN.
    2nd clomid IUI 2/13 cancelled didn't respond to clomid.
    3/15/13 scheduled laparoscopy & on bcp.

May 10 IUI from injectibles - BFN 

May 22 done with interventions it will either happen or it won't. 

February 2014 No longer actively trying, but not preventing. 

SURPISE BFP 4/2/2015!!!!!!!!!!

Miscarriage 4/23/15

• Options
    Hello! I'm glad your HSG went well. I almost passed out on mine. As for the polyps, I had a laparascopy done to remove several polyps and a fibroid. The 1st week of recovery was pretty roguh for me but the surgery went well. Good Luck!
  • Options

Yes, I agree Maryland! It's the fear of the unknown.

Anyway! I'll keep you updated. Thanks for the kind thoughts all!

• Options
    My HSG was so painful because my left tube is blocked.

Three ectopic preganacies in left tube in 1999, 2003 and 2004. HSG in 2010 concluded left tube blockage. IUI with femara in 2012 BFN. IVF #1 June 2013, 20 retreived, 14 mature, 12 fertilized via ICSI, one transferred, four frozen, BFN.  FET in September 2013 - BFN:( FET #2 April 2014 - BFP!!!!

Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap. As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God,the Maker of all things. <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Ecclesiastes 11 4:5  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I had a polyp removed via operative hysteroscopy. I don't recommend doing it in the office...it's too painful. My RE wouldn't attempt IVF with removing a 1cm polyp from inside my uterus. It was a very quick surgical procedure with anesthesia being the worst part of it. 

• Options
    Congrats on a painless HSG. I almost passed out with mine.  I did have a uterine polyp removed which other posters indicated can act as an IUD.  It was like going to an oral surgeons office to have your wisdom teeth out.  In and out the same day.  Recovery for me was easy and didn't even use the pain meds, just ibuprofen. 
    TTC since 2009 started going to RE 5/2011:
    Polyp removed/hypothyriod 6/2011
    7/2011 IUI#1 w/ 150 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    8/2011 IUI#2 w/225 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger BFN
    10/2011 IUI#3 w/300 Follistim/Ovidrel trigger (BFP)
    beta #1: 195 beta#2: 502
    7/2013 Back to RE because my uterus is OLD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"