August 2012 Moms

WWYD - renting a room

So, MIL sent us an email today asking DH and I if we would want to consider renting our guest room to his cousin for a few months (end of July - sometime in January). She'll be starting nursing school in August and has a friend starting in January who she plans to get an apartment with in January. She's 21 or 22 and a nice girl, good with kids. She also has a dog, and we have 2 already.

I'm very torn, because we definitely like our privacy and alone time. We walk around the house in our underwear. :) It would take some adjusting, of course. I also feel kind of an obligation to do it because MIL allowed us to live with her for 3 years while DH was in law school. I feel like we were able to get help when we needed it, and we are in a position where we could help his cousin out, even though it would be an inconvenience.

Would you do it? What questions would you ask before deciding? Any rules or guidelines? And, the big question, what do you think would be a reasonable rental price?

Re: WWYD - renting a room

• We are currently renting out down stairs to hubs' friends. He's a single man. I wish we had set up more guidelines because he's been here 2.5 yrs and its been annoying, rough, a blessing to get the extra cash and inconvenient.
    To answer your questions, hubs charges 200. I'd rather it be 350 because its our entire downstairs. One bedroom, private bath and full and mini frig, microwave and our car when his needs fixing.
    Rules: clean up behind yourself and kids, pay your own for food, discuss about noise level, access to cars [if allowed], access to public areas, food storage
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We might be doing this for DH's cousin who wants to move here from Michigan. We will definitely have a "move out by" date. My BIL and his family got stuck with a couple for almost 5 months bc when they originally talked about it, they were very lax and agreed to "about a month or so".
    I'm not sure about everything else yet bc it is still not a for sure thing so DH and I haven't had a serious discussion about rules or anything. I think we will only charge him enough to cover his electricity and water usage though. And he'll be responsible for getting his own food or pitching in if he eats ours.
    I think it'll be ok for a few months. But we have a small house and only one bathroom so I definitely wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it...
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't have an issue with it if I had the space, but with them being that age i'd make sure there are set rules about coming and going, bringing people home etc. and a set course of action if the rules are broken.

other than that I don't see a reason not to.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • I would do it - it's family!  And a little extra income.  Your dogs will probably have fun together, and maybe she loves kids and will enjoy spending time with your LO.  It could be fun!

Definitely check out some other rental listings in your area to get a good idea on price.  You can also chat with the cousin to see what her budget looks like. 

• I wouldn't do it. Family or not, what happens if things don't work out in January and she wants to stay longer? I don't mind people spending a night here and there but no one will be moving in with us.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • I'd try to make it work. We rented a basement when we moved to town and I feel the rent a room situation works well short term but never long term. I think 6 months would be ok, but 1st guideline would be set that January as out no matter what (put nicely of course). I'd discuss no late night visits from friends, and how food will work in the kitchen/dinners. I know for us it was awkward to cook dinner & not include everyone. But if you do that then more rent to cover food...overall I think #1) move out date set #2) food...other stuff is less of an issue in my experience.

If she has her own car I'm sure she'll be on campus most of the time anyway so you'll probably still have lots of your alone time. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks all! I think we're leaning toward doing it. Part of our hesitation is the fact that we did live with MIL and her partner, and SIL part of the time for the first 3.5 years of our marriage, so we really appreciate having our own home now!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"