August 2012 Moms
Options

NBR: ratemyprofessors.com

I normally catch up on my ratemyprofessors.com comments at the end of every semester.  I think it's nice to know what to work on and what to keep doing.  However, in one of my most recent reviews, one of my students called my class "An easy A".  I can't help but be offended.  I know that's a glowing review, but that's not what I'm usually known for, nor is it something I want to be known for.  How do you feel about this comment?  How do you feel about this site?  All of my students use it when choosing classes, but I'd hate to know I'm going to get a bunch of slackers next semester because of that.

BTW, I checked out some of my FB/Bump professor buddies on there too!   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NBR: ratemyprofessors.com

• Options

what was the class the kid took in relation to their major?  I mean some classes are easy for some people, but not easy at all for others.

DH, for example, only has to read something once and he remembers it.  never had to study, and could write papers the night before and have amazing ones every time.

me, on the other hand, struggled to memorize facts and writing papers has always been like pulling teeth.  get me in a practical/hands on class and I do great.

10/15/10 HPT+ 10/16/10 +blood test! missed m/c found at 17w, gone at aprox 14w., D&C
    4/26/11 HPT+ 4/28/11 +Blood test! HCG 67 5/24/11 Blighted Ovum.
    6/11-11/11 Non ovulatory cycles
    12/18/11 HPT+ 12/20/11 +Blood Test HCG 165 12/27/11 Beta test HCG 6411
    12/29/11 Beta 11264 1/30/11 Wiggler w/ HB 160+
    Grow Baby Grow!!!! Please be our rainbow!
    Rainbow Born 8/22, so in love with our little girl!
    Valentines
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker</a
  • Options

Was it an easy A because the student did what they were supposed to do? I agree that it depends on the individual student's definition of "easy".

I wouldn't worry about one reviewer that said that. Are other reviews like that as well?

SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm generally liked, but people usually say stuff like, "Read the book, do your work, and you will pass."  I don't try to grade hard, but I don't try to be a pushover easier.  To be fair, though, it was a 4 year college transfer level English class.  I don't pass the A's around like candy in that class.  It must have been someone who was ahead of the curve already. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemmdailey:
    I'm generally liked, but people usually say stuff like, "Read the book, do your work, and you will pass."  I don't try to grade hard, but I don't try to be a pushover easier.  To be fair, though, it was a 4 year college transfer level English class.  I don't pass the A's around like candy in that class.  It must have been someone who was ahead of the curve already. 

Yeah, for some students, what you described is an easy A. Sounds like you have clear expectations, which is awesome!

Fingers crossed that you are not inundated with students who think an easy A means they don't have to do anything! 

SeptsiggyBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use it every semester. But, if I were to see just one comment that said "easy A," I wouldn't expect an easy A. If there were five pages of "easy A" comments, then I would.

Usually, I can't really choose my instructors, so I use the site more to see if I actually need to buy the book and how much homework is given so I can weigh it against my other classes to determine how heavy my semester is going to be.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"