June 2013 Moms

Milk Stress UPDATE

So my milk came in today and Harper has been nursing the past few days off and on. She has also been taking formula because she was not wetting any diapers. Now my milk is here and I'm in so much pain. She will barely latch today and only staying on my breast about 5 mins. So my question is do I pump first or just let her latch like she has been? Sorry if this is dumb as hell but I'm struggling lol. TIA

Okay.....so I pumped but how much milk should it be? I pumped for 30 minutes and got an ounce and a half with both breasts combined?!!

Re: Milk Stress UPDATE

• jefkjefk member
    My daughter had trouble latching as well.  The LC said that because my boobs get so huge when they're full, it flattens out my nipples and she can't get a good hold.  She recommended a nipple shield which works well.  She also said to try pumping for a couple minutes to release some of the milk so it's easier for DD to latch.  That being said, I honestly prefer pumping and bottle-feeding over the stress of breastfeeding.
  • When I was having latch issues, I was told by an LC to go ahead and pump first for the fore milk to get the nipples out and then try latching LO to get the hind milk. Sounds similar to my DD when she would latch for only a few minutes. I have shallow nipples and she had a high palette so pumping worked best for me in that situation. This time with DS he can latch for longer so I'll bf some and pump some.  

Another option is to put a warm rag on your breasts before feeding to ease some of the pain. Switch between warm and cold compresses. I also found an awesome trick to help with pain when milk was coming in which is to take a diaper, fill it with warm water, and "dunk" your breast in it.  It also works for unclogging ducts!  I wish you luck!  BF can be tricky! 

• Loading the player...
  • I love you ladies!! DH just went to Target for shields so hopefully that helps! I'm also about to pump bc she is going to be awake soon! Thanks!
  • imagenykkolhooks:

imageJANCANDANCE:
    I love you ladies!! DH just went to Target for shields so hopefully that helps! I'm also about to pump bc she is going to be awake soon! Thanks!

Be careful with the shields!  They can cause a lot of problems with latching later on. I suggest pumping until the breast softens and then have her latch. When my milk first came in I could pump 5 ounces off and then feed her and still feel full afterwards!

This exactly!! I used the shields the first week with my daughter because she was having issues latching and it made it so hard for her to learn to latch without the shields. With this LO I just pump for a few minute thru the letdown if I'm super engorged and then he latches better.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I can't even get the shields to work! My nipple won't get thru the shield. I'm so tempted to give up. I did manage to pump 3 oz. but I was in tears the entire time. I'm hoping it gets better. I really want to breastfeed.
  • My daughter did great the first few days of nursing, until my milk came in.  Then my breasts were so full that she would have a very hard time latching.  I did start pump for a few minutes to relieve some of the pressure.  Now she has no problem latching even if I am very full.  It is quite painful when she does latch but that should get better as my nipples get used to it.  Keep at it and you and your little one will get it worked out.

I know it is silly but I would tell Regan that we are a team and we needed to work together.  I think this helped me more then her because I would get so frustrated when she wouldnt latch.  It would bring me to tears and I know she could feel my frustration too.

Riley 12/24/08 Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRileighsMom1224:
    My daughter did great the first few days of nursing, until my milk came in. nbsp;Then my breasts were so full that she would have a very hard time latching. nbsp;I did start pump for a few minutes to relieve some of the

pressure. nbsp;Now she has no problem latching even if I am very full. nbsp;It is quite painful when she does latch but that should get better as my nipples get used to it. nbsp;Keep at it and you and your little one will get it worked out. nbsp;I know it is silly but I would tell Regan that we are a team and we needed to work together. nbsp;I think this helped me more then her because I would get so frustrated when she wouldnt latch. nbsp;It would bring me to tears and I know she could feel my frustration too.

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"