High-Risk Pregnancy

How does anyone not gain a ton on the gd diet?!

I feel like all I do is eat! 6 times a day! It is so much more food then I normally eat. I feel like I will gain a ton of weight. I ate fairly healthy before hand, not a ton of snacks like chips or sweets, no soda etc so it's not like I am swapping calories for calories etc. I feel like I will be doubling my calories. Not to mention the diet they give is generic so say someone 5 8 is following the same diet I am at 5 feet tall?

Re: How does anyone not gain a ton on the gd diet?!

• I haven't gained weight on it. 

What does your diet look like?

Mine looks like the following:

Breakfast: 15 carbs

2 eggs

1 wheat toast

Morning snack: 30 carbs

1 flavored greek yogurt

11 peanut butter pretzels

1 light string cheese

Lunch: 45 carbs

1 unflavored greek yogurt

2 cups strawberries

Afternoon Snack: 15 carbs

1 light string cheese

Carrots and Ranch

Dinner: 45 carbs

1 soft taco (1 tortilla, beef, cheese, lettuce, salsa sour cream)

1 small popsicle  

Bedtime snack: 15 carbs

15 wheat crackers

1 light string cheese

Lunch meat, chicken or bacon

I have actually lost weight. I am likely going to walk out of the hospital at my pre-pg weight.

In fact at my last appointment, by OB encouraged me to eat more calories. She said to still limit my carbs, but to eat more calories. So I have been doing things like putting some grated cheese on my eggs in the morning or choosing to eat more protein and fats (since I can't have more carbs).

If you are following the diet and controlling your blood sugar, you should not be gaining lots of weight. I would talk to your OB or your GD counselor/nutritionist if you think you are gaining a lot of weight. They may have suggestions for you.  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • my gd diet looks like this am breakfast 45 carbs

am snack 30 carbs 

lunch 45 carbs 

afternoon snack 30 carbs 

dinner 45 carbs 

pm snack 30 carbs 

I eat alot of nuts and whole grains with protein fresh fruits and vegtables and drink lots of water I haven't lost any weight been gaining it  

• Loading the player...
  • I lost and then maintained with both pregnancies with GD. The diet is designed to keep your blood sugar (and metabolism). It's generic because you need a certain number of carbs regardless of your height which is important for the development of your baby. If you feel it's too much food, talk to your nutritionist or GD counselor to see if they can adjust things for you to keep things within the guidelines.
    Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Thanks ladies! A sample of a lunch they list as an option is a sandwich on 2 slices whole wheat bread a large salad and a glass of milk. I have heard most lose weight on this diet and I had it with my last pregnancy and was diet controlled with great numbers but gained 40lbs following the diet. And I am only 5 feet so that's A LOT. Also those that have lost weight... Were you overweight or normal weight to start?
  • When I was pregnant with DD and had GD I ate 5 times a day like I was told to but I ate small portions and I actually lost weight.  You might be eating too many calories or the wrong foods.  My diet went something like this: Oatmeal and bacon for breakfast, peanut butter crackers or light yogurt for early afternoon snack, sandwich and fruit for lunch, chicken, baked potato and veggies for dinner and then graham crackers and peanut butter or something like that as bedtime snack.  A simple healthy diet like that should not cause you to gain a ton of weight.  Oh and I should add the carb breakdown for me went like this: Breakfast 30 carbs, late morning or early afternoon snack 20 carbs, lunch 45-50 carbs, dinner 45-50 carbs, bedtime snack 30 carbs.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I think the key is eating smaller meals. For example, instead of a full sandwich, eat a half. For snacks, eat a 1/2 cup of greek yogurt & granola, instead of a whole cup of yogurt. If I ate a full meal six times a day, I would feel overfull and would most definitely gain weight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wound up losing weight- I credit that with the fact that I was limited to 210 carbs the whole day and had to exercise after breakfast, lunch and dinner to keep the insulin dosage low.  I did my best to pick "healthy" carbs and not cheat because otherwise I'd be starving until my next meal or snack. 
  • imageBasil27:
    Thanks ladies! A sample of a lunch they list as an option is a sandwich on 2 slices whole wheat bread a large salad and a glass of milk. I have heard most lose weight on this diet and I had it with my last pregnancy and was diet controlled with great numbers but gained 40lbs following the diet. And I am only 5 feet so that's A LOT. Also those that have lost weight... Were you overweight or normal weight to start?

Normal weight/athletic  build and I gained a total of 14lbs with DD & 15lbs with DS. Are you exercising as well? Even walking 10-15 minutes after meals I think helps curb the gain and keep your BS lower.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • I have been on the GD diet for the past 3 weeks and have lost weight since I started it.

I am eating 6 meals a day (3 mains, 3 snacks) and although I always ate pretty healthy I have definitely noticed that I feel even lighter and and less full on the GD diet. 

It might be worth looking at your portion size. My portions are pretty small i.e. 2 pieces of toast and peanut butte for breakfast, 4 crackers and cottage cheese plus a piece of fruit for lunch.

ETA: BTW, I am only 5.1 (just) so not tall, and I didn't have a weight problem before getting pregnant. I could afford to lose some, but not a lot. 

TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageBasil27:
    Thanks ladies! A sample of a lunch they list as an option is a sandwich on 2 slices whole wheat bread a large salad and a glass of milk. I have heard most lose weight on this diet and I had it with my last pregnancy and was diet controlled with great numbers but gained 40lbs following the diet. And I am only 5 feet so that's A LOT. Also those that have lost weight... Were you overweight or normal weight to start?

I'm just shy of 5 feet tall and was maybe 5lbs overweight (per BMI standards) when I got pregnant the first time. My GD was diet controlled with no meds and I gained only 1lb in 3rd trimester for a total weight gain of 23lbs for the entire pregnancy. My diet was 45g carbs at three meals and 15g at each of my snacks. I've always eaten several small low-carb meals per day instead of a few larger ones so it wasn't a huge switch for me. This pregnancy I have diet control again but since I have twins, I've actually had some weight gain in 3rd trimester but it fluctuates with some weeks gaining a pound or two only to lose the gain the following week. Everyone's different, but that's what my experience has been.

J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • I feel like I'm starving on this diet.

Okay, not really, but I do feel unsatisfied a lot of the time. I've lost two lbs since starting the GD diet, so I'm only up a total of 6 lbs. I realize most women would be pleased with the lack of weight gain, but damnit I'm pregnant and I want to be fat and full of yummy food.

(And I say unsatisfied, because although I am full after a meal, most of the time its not what I'd want or choose to eat. I'm tired of meat and protien and PB at breakfast. I want a damn donut and a big plate of spaghetti.) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I really think its what your body is used to. This diet for me is high carb. I would never have whole grain waffles for breakfast, two slices of bread at lunch and carbs at dinner. Just doesnt work for me. Going into pregnancy I ate a high veggie/high protein/med-high fat diet. Yes, I'd have carbs but I was also training for triathlons and burning through them like crazy. I'm not on modified bed rest. In any event, I'm gaining about 2 pounds/week on this diet. Overall I estimate I'll gain 55 pounds. Not happy about it but not much I can do about it either. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"