1st Trimester
Options

Cod liver oil?

After crying on the toilet from attempting to poop and being incredibly unsuccessful and in an incredible amount of pain, I gave up. This is excruciating! Is cod liver oil safe for preggos? Have any of your docs said its ok? The bottle is Carlson brand and says its high in DHA and EPA. Would that even help me? I did find some stool softeners and took 2, but that obviously won't provide instant or even fast relief, and sorry for the tmi, but I can't even sit down bc the poop is sitting out and I can't like suck it back in. It's not painful like hemmrhoids pain, it's painful bc I can feel myself sitting on really hard poop!
Help!

December Siggy Challenge: Love Actually

Married DH: April 21 2012 // Expecting our first: Jan 20 2014
BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Cod liver oil?

• Options
    You can also try an enema, but you don't want to rely on them regularly. Try adding a fiber supplement like Metamucil to your diet to help for the future.

I know how you feel. Up until a few days ago I was exactly in your shoes... It sucks big time.

My life, my love, my boys
    imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS: Liam born 8.30.10 at 35 wks (PPROM, Pre-E, C-Section)

DD: BFP 6.9.13, EDD 2.12.14, A/S 9.20.13... It's a Girl!

Adeline Leigh born sleeping 2.11.14 at 39 wks 6 days

How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts. - Dorothy Ferguson

• Options
    Have you tried Milk of Magnesia? It's a safe, short-term relief from constipation. I wouldn't use it all the time, but if you're in a pinch, it should help.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wouldn't take cod liver oil, it can also have mercury in it. Krill oil is a better choice for dha. Add metamucil, docusate sodium (stool softener), LOTS of water, milk... Not sure what to do for the immediate problem though. Call your doc or a nurse line maybe...
  • Options

You're thinking of Castor oil for pooping. CLO is a natural DHA, Vit A, and Vit D source. I take liquid fermented CLO daily, and it doesnt help me with pooping at all.

I vote MiraLax, or a suppository.

I'm not hungry, I'm HUUUNNNNNGGGRRRRRYYYY! NOW!

Dec 2014 Dec Siggy, Free For All

Big E- 2008

Miss M- 2011

Baby Z- 2012

Baby Smoosh, Due Dec 2014

• Options
    imageOutOfStep81:
    You can also try an enema, but you don't want to rely on them regularly. Try adding a fiber supplement like Metamucil to your diet to help for the future.

I know how you feel. Up until a few days ago I was exactly in your shoes... It sucks big time.

I have been using Metamucil the last few days to no avail and I've been upping my fiber intake w my foods. This constipation / hemmrhoids stuff is seriously no joke!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagecar seat:
    Some women use cod liver oil to induce labour... so I would think this is a bad idea.Tons of water, tons of fibre.It's also a bad idea to use it to induce labour.nbsp;

Holy cow, did not know that! Thank you!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imagesavannah_girl:
    Try "Kals poop cocktail". It helps a lot of people.Hot water with lemon.nbsp;

That's it? Just brew a cup if hot water w lemon? Making one now! Thank you!

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    imageMaineMama:
    You're thinking of Castor oil for pooping. CLO is a natural DHA, Vit A, and Vit D source. I take liquid fermented CLO daily, and it doesnt help me with pooping at all. I vote MiraLax, or a suppository.

You're totally right. In the heat of the moment I totally confused the two. I'm having DH pick up suppositories tonight, yikes.

BabyFetus Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

This really might not be your cup of tea, but I have suffered medical related constipation on and off over the last few years. I am a vegetarian, and poop every morning, so not going is a big deal for me. Below, there is a lot of TMI!

Again, this might not be something you want to do. Put a disposable glove on, and put a finger in your vagina. I find my thumb seems to work best, and with the pad of your thumb, you should be able to feel the pooh on the side of your vagina that touches your rectum. You will almost be able to feel hard rocks through the thin skin that separates the vagina and rectum. See if you can push the pooh manually down that way, maybe while you push at the same time.

The other thing you can try, again this is for when you a desperate, is with a different glove (you never want to use the same glove for this process, of vice versa) lube up your finger, I usually use my pointing finger, and insert it into your bum. You can usually feel the pooh right there, and you can kinda pull it out. You have to be very relaxed to do this, and it can be painful if you are suffering from haemorrhoids. I get bad anal fissures, so doing this is actually preferable to pushing for ages. What I find is you usually have a very hard stool, and once you get that out, the rest is not as hard, and should come out easier. 

Most people will find these last resorts of course, although I am so used to doing it now when I am super constipated, I actually find it very easy to do. But it is embarrassing. I would never even tell my FI! If either of these things feel really painful, don't force anything. The skin is very thin, and you want to be careful not to cause any more tears.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"