June 2013 Moms
Options

Thrush??

Hoping some more experienced mommas can save me from my first possibly unnecessary trip to the doctor's office tomorrow...

I noticed on Friday evening my baby has a white coating on her tongue. I googled and it looks like it could be thrush. The white spots are patchy and do scrape off, and it's not on her lips or inside her cheeks. She's still eating normally and her mouth doesn't seem red or painful to her. On my end, my nipples are sore and it hurts the first 30 seconds or so when she latches but otherwise I don't see any other thrushlike symptoms. I did have chronic yeast infections during my pregnancy; the last one was 2 weeks prior to her birth.

Really don't want to go to the pediatrician if this is just a normal coating of milk on her tongue, but I'm afraid if it's thrush to wait to get treatment.

FYI LO is 2 weeks old and EBF. And I'm a FTM. Can you tell? ::mobile smiley::
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Thrush??

• Options
    My LO has had a white coating on her tongue from milk. My pediatrician said it was fine, but if it spreads to the cheeks or gums etc then call. We are also EBF... And FTM :smiley:

image image

• Options
    my baby had a very light white coating on the tongue, nothing on cheeks or anywhere else, but got the thrush diaper rash REALLY bad, so that's how they knew.  My nipples were fine - so we didn't have a lot of symptoms..we treated it with nystatin first (oral and ointment for her tush and my nipples just in case), but after we stopped her rash came back super bad so now she's on oral antibiotics and her rash is gone!  She'll be on that for 2 weeks - just hoping the skin that got rubbed raw heals fast.  Hope some of that is helpful and hope your LO doesn't get the diaper rash from it - it sucks!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yeast in the mouth sometime will go away on its own. If its bothering her you might want to call they will give you some Nystatin which you'll put in her mouth a couple times a day for a week or so she wont like it. My son had a bad yeast infection on his poor bum and the nystatin cleaned it right up. If she does have yeast you can get a bad yeast infection in your nipples that can become very painful hopefully this doesn't happen. Sorry not much help but hopefully its just milk. If she does have yeast you should start to eat lots of yogart or probiotics when my husband got oral thrust it really helped clean it up.
    TTC for 3 years BFP 5/09/12 natural M/C @ 5 weeks Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Sounds like milk mouth to me. My LO's tongue is white quite a bit but it's not thrush.
  • Options
    Sounds like it might be thrush. I would watch it or call the pediatrician and see what they say. If you are breastfeeding and it starts to feel like shards of glass are coming out, it is most definitely thrush and you should have him treated and you as well otherwise you can pass it back and forth for awhile.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, all. I eat plain Greek yogurt daily and just added a probiotic supplement to my daily vitamin mix too, so hope that helps on my end. I'll keep an eye on her bum for a rash or the other symptoms too. And keep my fingers crossed that its just milk mouth!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"