August 2013 Moms
Options

FTM bottle question ...

Not sure if this has been asked before but I couldn't find one if so. My question is I just found 2 awesome coupons for Avent bottles 5 pack and was going to head out to get them today .... Should I get 4oz or 9oz ?? I plan on breast feeding for at least 6 months that is my goal so I will be off work for 8 weeks then pumping at work. So any advice on which size to buy wpuld be great! They are pricy so I was thinking I could buy the 9oz and have them last longer and just replace the nipples with his growth? Is this even correct thinking?? I have no idea!

Re: FTM bottle question ...

• Options
    You can use larger bottles the entire time. Just make sure they are the slow flow nipples.

That being said, I prefer smaller bottles. They are easier to carry, as well as store.

We use the drop in bottles, and I BF, so I never needed very many. I always got three 4oz and three 8oz and I was set for the year. Until I lost one, anyway.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options
    It posted too fast! I was going to say, I would get all the small size. You will need at least 5 for daycare, and a few backups. That gives you a few backups for when one disappears or gets disgusting. If your child starts eating larger amounts, you can start buying larger bottles as you replace the old ones.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would go for the smaller ones if breast feeding. He didn't need more than 45 oz at a time for awhile. Eventually we got some of the bigger ones but that was pretty far down the road.
    IMG_0663
  • Options
    I only wanted to buy one type of bottles so last time around I got 8 wide mouth dr browns. I figured you can put a little in a big bottle but you can't put a lot in a little bottle. Hope that makes sense. DS did fine with the one size. Just bought new nipples as he sized up. I still need to get new nipples for this go round. I'm procrastinating hoping that breastfeeding goes better this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I EBF and DS never took more than 6 or 7 oz and that was at 7 mo or so. I used large bottles more, but I also SAH for 9 mo.

• Options
    imageCelticWife:
    You can use larger bottles the entire time. Just make sure they are the slow flow nipples.

That being said, I prefer smaller bottles. They are easier to carry, as well as store.

We use the drop in bottles, and I BF, so I never needed very many. I always got three 4oz and three 8oz and I was set for the year. Until I lost one, anyway.

This.

There's no right or wrong answer. I preferred smaller ones as well. We switched to 9 oz around 9 months. But by that time he was down to just a few bottles a day and we were transitioning to sippies.

I also really liked avents!
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• Options
    thellxthellx member

I'm also a FTM who plans to exclusively breastfeed.

We bought the Dr. Brown's newborn feeding set, which includes 3 standard eight ounce bottles,  2 standard 4 ounce bottles, 5 "Level 1" nipples, 2 extra "Level 2" nipples, 2 travel/storage caps, and 3 cleaning brushes.

I'm hoping this will be sufficient for our needs, since we really don't plan to use bottles on a regular basis; they're more like a backup for those rare occasions that I'm not able to feed him myself.

• Options
    DD was breastfed and never drank more than 4.5 ounces out of a bottle. Her Avent bottles fit the extra .5 ounce just fine, I just used my Medela bottles to measure. I'd get all 4 ounce ones, that way you have more than one set. We had 11 daycare bottles total and that was perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"