Trying to Get Pregnant

Are there any exceptions to the "rules"?

I've been wanting to ask this for awhile now, but hesitated to for fear of being flamed. So here goes...

I know that the standard is for women younger than 35 to wait for a year before seeing an RE. I also know that "impatience does not equal infertility." With that being said, at what point do seriously wonky cycles become cause for concern? I have been off hormonal birth control since September 2012, I had 3 normalish cycles where we were NTNP before I decided to get serious about temping and charting in January. Unfortunately that's when my ovaries lost their minds and my cycles got fvcked. I had an 88 day cycle, followed by a 62 day cycle, and I am currently on CD 26 with no O in sight. My OB was not even slightly concerned when I brought it up in March. I'm seeing him again in September, if i continue to have these long cycles would it be appropriate at that time to ask for an RE referral? Technically it will only have been 9 months of "trying." I'm very interested to hear all of your opinions. Thanks in advance.

ETA that the 2 cycles I've charted have been ovulatory, just long.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
DD ~ A ~ b. 11/2007
TFAS since 9/2012

My Ovulation Chart

Re: Are there any exceptions to the "rules"?

• I am currently CD73 on my fourth day of an Rx of Provera. My cycle before this was 107.5 Days. I don't really have much advice and will let more experienced TTGP's dish that out. I however feel your irritation with weird and wonky cycles. Plus side is you're ovulating.  Best Wishes!

**~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• imageSpookster:
    I am currently CD73 on my fourth day of an Rx of Provera. My cycle before this was 107.5 Days. I don't really have much advice and will let more experienced TTGP's dish that out. I however feel your irritation with weird and wonky cycles. Plus side is you're ovulating.nbsp; Best Wishes!

My OB doesn't give Provera until you go 4 months without a period. Thankfully it hasn't come to that for me, yet. But it's so unbelievably frustrating to wait and wait to freaking ovulate. I actually don't mind the 2 week wait, at least it's time limited.

So how long have you been trying? Sorry, mobile bumping, can't see siggy's. do you plan on waiting the full year, if you don't get KU'd?
    DD ~ A ~ b. 11/2007
    TFAS since 9/2012

My Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNurseMom2007:
    imageSpookster:
    I am currently CD73 on my fourth day of an Rx of Provera. My cycle before this was 107.5 Days. I don't really have much advice and will let more experienced TTGP's dish that out. I however feel your irritation with weird and wonky cycles. Plus side is you're ovulating.nbsp; Best Wishes!
    My OB doesn't give Provera until you go 4 months without a period. Thankfully it hasn't come to that for me, yet. But it's so unbelievably frustrating to wait and wait to freaking ovulate. I actually don't mind the 2 week wait, at least it's time limited. So how long have you been trying? Sorry, mobile bumping, can't see siggy's. do you plan on waiting the full year, if you don't get KU'd?

I am at the beginning of my 31st month TTC #2. I just saw my Dr. this past April, because I am stubborn and refused to entertain the thought something may be wrong. Looking back I wish I had called when I hit the 1 yr mark.

**~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

• imageSpookster:

imageNurseMom2007:
    imageSpookster:

My OB doesn't give Provera until you go 4 months without a period. Thankfully it hasn't come to that for me, yet. But it's so unbelievably frustrating to wait and wait to freaking ovulate. I actually don't mind the 2 week wait, at least it's time limited.

So how long have you been trying? Sorry, mobile bumping, can't see siggy's. do you plan on waiting the full year, if you don't get KU'd?

I am at the beginning of my 31st month TTC #2. I just saw my Dr. this past April, because I am stubborn and refused to entertain the thought something may be wrong. Looking back I wish I had called when I hit the 1 yr mark.

I'm TTC 2 as well, my first was a surprise so this is all new to me. Good luck to you! I hope you get some answers soon.
    DD ~ A ~ b. 11/2007
    TFAS since 9/2012

My Ovulation Chart
  • You could wait it out a couple of more months and see what happens. Your September appointment would be at/around the year mark of not being on birth control so you could ask about a referral then.

Frankly, if I had multiple consecutive cycles over 60 days I would ask to investigate what was going on and if the doctor refused then I would get a second opinion. You've had two periods since January and it is now almost July. That is not normal.

Also, I don't think you would be flamed for this and I'm sorry you thought that you would be. You will probably get all different kinds of answers and some of us will disagree about the best way to handle your situation. That's to be expected.

TTC #1 since Oct. 2012 | BFP Feb. 21, 2014!
    imageimage
  • imageBlackBooks:
    You could wait it out a couple of more months and see what happens. Your
    September appointment would be at/around the year mark of not being
    on birth control so you could ask about a referral then.Frankly, if I had multiple consecutive cycles over 60 days I would ask to investigate what was going on and if the doctor refused then I would get a second opinion. You've had two periods since January and it is now almost July. That is not normal. Also, I don't think you would be flamed for this and I'm sorry you thought that you would be. You will probably get all different kinds of answers and some of us will disagree about the best way to handle your situation. That's to be expected.

Thank you. I just didn't want to be accused of the dreaded "borrowing trouble." And my OB's dismissal of the situation made me feel like maybe I was.
    DD ~ A ~ b. 11/2007
    TFAS since 9/2012

My Ovulation Chart
  • I agree with BlackBooks. If it were me in your shoes, I would want answers. And I'd probably switch docs if my concerns kept getting dismissed. IMHO, you shouldn't feel bad about being proactive at this point.

Good luck! 

• BC&LMBC&LM member
    I'm not completely sure whether it would be appropriate to see an RE early or not, so I will let more qualified people address that question. I did want to point out, though, that just because your cycles are wonky does not mean you will not be able to get pregnant in a timely manner. My son was conceived on my longest cycle ever after my husband and I started trying. I didn't ovulate until about CD54 that cycle! Because my cycles are wonky, it took us 7 months/5 cycles to conceive. So it was a bit longer than some people, but still within the perfectly normal range for someone under 35. If you haven't reached 12 months yet and your OB didn't seem concerned when you previously brought it up to him or her, I would just wait it out the full 12 months before considering an RE if it were me.
  • I'm glad you posted because your situation sounds very similar to mine. TTC2 since September 2012, always have had wonky cycleswent 6 months withiut period then finally had one in may that lasted all month, went to my OB and suggested starting clomid instead of actually diagnosing why my cycles are silly wonky. I am not going to start the clomid because I don't feel that is an appropriate answer to my problem. Yes, I want to be pregnant but not without going through the proper channels beforehand. I hope you get answers soon because it is very frustrating to see a doctor hoping to get answers, then walk away even more confused /frustrated. Best of luck to you and hope you get some answers soon!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"