Breastfeeding

Many Question Please HELP!

Baby Girl would not take a pacifier. She is EBF! But my nipples can't take her just sucking on it. She does not like the Soothie . Any other one? I go back to work this week after being 2.5 months off. I started pumping but only getting an oz or two. I figure i have to supplement. I really HATE doing. UGH! I'm just wondering what kind of formula I can used. I was thinking the Similac For Supplementation or any regular formula? Other question BOTTLES? Not sure of a bottle she will like? Last question working mom who is pumping. How many time do you pump at work? Do you schedule it?

Re: Many Question Please HELP!

• I think each kid has different paci preferences. If she won't take the Soothie, I'd try ones with a very different shape. She might not take one. You can try giving her a clean finger or knuckle instead, or I know some babies will suck on the tags or ears of a lovey blanket instead of a paci. you can also try having someone else soothe her so that she calms down without sucking on a breast. Maybe swaddle and white noise and rocking would help replace sucking. 

If you are nursing and just pumping in between right now, an ounce or two is great. When you are at work, you'll be pumping each time she would usually feed and will probably get more. You can also up your pumping productivity by playing around with the letdown button and the pumping strength, by using heat, watching videos or looking at photos of your baby, doing breast massage and compression... etc. 

I'm not sure about formula so I can't help there.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PP was great. With formula, we tried Similac and our LO had no issue. The only thing that we noticed when we do give it to her it seems to go through her. She poops almost every time. I have heard Enfamil gives baby gas.
  • Loading the player...
  • MaebbMaebb member
    We supplement with Similac Advance powder, and it works fine.

For the pumping, I usually feed DS or breastfeed around 7am before work. Then I try to pump at 10, 1, and 4, but it depends on my schedule. Sometimes I only pump twice at work. Then I'm home by 6:30 and feed him around 7. For pumping at work, I make a "meeting" on my calendar so that people won't bother me during that time.

I don't know about what bottles will work best for you. We use Dr. Browns, but I would suggest just buying one of whatever brand you'd like to try and trying it to make sure she likes it before buying more.
  • Some babies just won't take a paci. You can be a human pacifier or keep offeringtry every kind of paci. it sounds like you may need to supplement for your first day of work unless you have enough days left to store up an ounce a day. It'd be a pain but I had DH bottle feed at the 2/3 am feed at that age and discovered I could pump a ton that time of night since your supply is highest early morning if you want to try pumping then. Anyway, you will pump much more at work and you will know that first week if you pump enough or need to supplement more. The first week back to work I pumped every 3 hours, staring with 3 hrs after she last ate before I left for work. As time went on and my supply regulated I have stretched time between pumpings as needed depending on what I had to do at the office. Buy just one of a few different bottle. Dr. Browns and Avent are good, so is the Lansinoh momma bottle.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"