Baby Names

LN as FN question

Many people use last names as first names. But does the last name have to be in the family tree somewhere?

Lately I've been crushing on the last name Ladner [as a first], yet it is not in my family tree!
FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List

Re: LN as FN question

• I'm not really a fan of last names as first names, but families names kind of get a pass, although I prefer them in the mn spot.
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am not a fan of last names as first names, regardless of if they are in the family. I prefer actual names in the first name spot.

• Loading the player...
  • I like last name as first name if it is a real name and is in your family. Ladner is not good as a first name.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Doesn't have to be although NMS. Just watch out for the name sounding backward and the possibility of people being confused which one is the first name ie: on paperwork, etc.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Most last names as first names I know of in real life are NOT family names. They are just names people like the sound of, and it's very on trend right now. Carter, Cooper, Parker, Davis, Porter, Everett, Harrison...

In the few cases in my real life where it IS a family name, it's the mom using her maiden name for the first name of her child... Examples in my real life are Parker (boy), Ryan (girl), Donovan (boy), and Chase (girl).

I don't mind last names in the first name spot. Some I like, and some I don't. I don't love the sound of Ladner.
  • A name that is so pearly a last name does seem odd when there is o zero connection and being used as a fn, this is not a trend I like though. 

• My DS is Parker and its not a family name. MH and I just love it.  But, ill be honest... Ladner is pretty bad.  I've never even heard it as a last name before.  It sounds made up. 
    imageimage

• imagechristiney06:
    My DS is Parker and its not a family name. MH and I just love it. nbsp;But, ill be honest... Ladner is pretty bad. nbsp;I've never even heard it as a last name before. nbsp;It sounds made up.nbsp;

It's a German surname
    FORMERLY NADCHAEL.

VOTE on my Name List
  • mmb248mmb248 member
    With the exception of last names that have become popular as first names, Taylor, Parker, Harrison, I only like ln as fn when it's a family name.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"