November 2013 Moms

Bells Palsy

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with Bells Palsy this early on in pregnancy. In what I've found online most people that get it in pregnancy are in the 3rd trimester.

I'm just past 20 weeks and woke up last Saturday with a numb tongue and twitching eye. Things progressively got worse and now I went to the dr yesterday after noticing that my eye wasn't drying out due to my contacts, but because it wasn't closing when I blinked. They did a bunch of tests and sent me to the ER where they did an MRI to rule out other things and determined it was bells palsy. Compared to what it could have been, it's a blessing, but still very frustrating to have lost all function in my left side of my face. I have to keep my eye taped shut and they prescribed Prednisone for 5 days at 40mg.

Does anyone have any experience with this and know how log it is likely to last and also wondering how safe the steroids are right now. I called te answering service for my OB this morning and the nurse called back just saying that the ER doctor and neurologist that prescribed it knew how far along I was an that the benefits outweigh the risks at this point, however it is on the C list of medications and I'm not sure how comfortable I am taking it. Help!!

Re: Bells Palsy

• So sorry you're having to deal with this. I don't have any experience but the few things I've seen seem to say it will last until after birth.

Btw, I would imgine the steroids they gave you. Unless you have reason not to. I trust that the docs wouldn't give you anything that would be unsafe for baby.

Hugs.

• I don't have experience as relates to pregnancy, but my husband had Bell's palsy last year, I know it's not fun. his symptoms lasted about a month. Take Tylenol as needed for the headches, use eye drops liberally, and just rest as much as possible.

As far as the steroids, as long as your OB has approved it I wouldn't worry too much.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Loading the player...
  • Steriods are safe. I've been on two rounds for my Mulitple Sclerosis. Both my midwife and my MS doctor say its safe.
  • Oh no! I'm sorry! I did have facial paralysis within two months of giving birth both times. My gp told me it was Bell's palsy but my cousin is a neurologist and he did an exam and said it was Ramsay Hunt. The difference is in treatment bc with the steroids, I had to take an antiviral. You can be at risk when your body is experiencing changes preg or after giving birth and it is if you've had chicken pox when you were little, the virus lays dormant in your nerve endings until your body experiences new stressors. The first time it was 6 weeks but we knew early on what may happen so after second birth, it only lasted two weeks. You need to get on meds quickly bc nerve damage can be permanent.

Just an FYI to be sure Ramsay Hunt was properly ruled out! Good luck!
  • I don't have experience with it during pregnancy but I did have it my senior year of high school. It lasted about a month. Sorry you're having to go through it. It's not fun.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"