Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

umbilical hernia

FTM and never knew about herniated umbilicals. My LO's popped up when he was about 1 month. It looks so uncomfortable but I am told it will just go away on it's own. He isn't in any pain or discomfort from it. I'm still worried it won't fix itself or will need surgery. I keep thinking it will need surgery or worse become strangulated. Anyone else dealing with this? TIA!

Re: umbilical hernia

• Options
    My LO also has an umbilical hernia that's been there since her cord fell off.  The chance of these kinds of hernias becoming strangulated is SOOO small and most really do close up on their own and don't require surgery, so don't worry!
  • Options
    Yup, my little guy has one, too.  I was told the same as PPers.  It should go away on its own, if not we'll reevaluate at 3.  I was told to push it gently during diaper changes.  As long as its soft, no worries.  If it feels like a walnut is in there get to the ER right away.   It's not pretty, but doesn't bother my little one in the slightest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagekelly422:
    My LO also has an umbilical hernia that's been there since her cord fell off.  The chance of these kinds of hernias becoming strangulated is SOOO small and most really do close up on their own and don't require surgery, so don't worry!

This. DD2 had one and over time the space just got smaller and smaller. Around 18 months it was hardly noticeable at all. Now her button looks completely normal. Talk to your pedi about it and they can monitor it at well checks. It made me so nervous for a while, especially when she cried and it just stuck out so far.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    Thank you, everyone! FX it resolves itself...I can push it in easily it is just so big it makes me nervous!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"