Stay at Home Moms

Bridal shower gift basket

I'm going to a shower next weekend and am throwing around gift ideas. I just looked at their registry and noticed they are registered for camping stuff. Often I make gift baskets for these sorts of things with the bulk of the gift coming off the registry. That awful story about gift baskets has me second guessing myself. Would it be lame to get the cooler off their registry and fill it with camping food stuff? I know the bride's extended family does an annual camping trip in July that hasn't happened yet this year.
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Bridal shower gift basket

• I think that sounds great! What was the horrible story?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageTheGriffs:
    I think that sounds great! What was the horrible story?

Basically, a pair of brides invited a former boss to their wedding. The boss brought a pic of basket filled with "high end" picnic foods. The brides asked for a receipt and then proceeded to insist that the guests should have given them enough cash to cover the cost of their meals instead of an actual gift. 

https://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/food-and-nutrition/dieting/wedding-etiquette-takes-back-seat-gift-basket-battle

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I love both giving and getting gift baskets. Those brides were horrible wenches. One of my favorite gifts from my shower was from DH's aunt. It was this great wicker basket full of cleaning supplies. All of the little things you don't think about until you need them. We didn't have a home together yet so we needed all of it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love giving and receiving gift baskets.  I think you have a great idea.  
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• LOL. That story is awful because the brides were b*tches. The boss gave a perfectly acceptable gift..at least in my world.

If it's on their registry, it's more than fine.

I got a lot of little kitchen stuff in a gift basket from a coworker and 7 years later I still find it awesome. It made opening a can opener, veggie peeler, paring knife and colanders all that more exciting.

• Tbd143Tbd143 member
    I think it's a great idea.

And That story still makes me mad. I would not let that influence your decision.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagelexusolsen:

imageTheGriffs:
    I think that sounds great! What was the horrible story?

Basically, a pair of brides invited a former boss to their wedding. The boss brought a pic of basket filled with "high end" picnic foods. The brides asked for a receipt and then proceeded to insist that the guests should have given them enough cash to cover the cost of their meals instead of an actual gift. 

https://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/food-and-nutrition/dieting/wedding-etiquette-takes-back-seat-gift-basket-battle

Oh wow, I have no words after reading that.... I still go with I would be happy to receive your gift. It is made up of things they have asked for and has an element of thoughtfulness to it. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would have loved to get that gift - including the fluffy whip and sour patch kids. What complete asshats.

I think your gift is great idea.  I'm going to a baby shower in a few weeks and I'm also doing a gift basket. 

imageimageimageimage
  • kmc217kmc217 member

I think that is a great idea! Especially if the cooler is on the registry and you know they are campers, how could they not love it?

One of the better gifts I received was when I moved into my first new apartment on my own after graduating college my dad bought me a tool box and filled it with everything I could possibly need. Also, my aunt bought me a nice decorative trash can and filled it with every cleaning supply under the sun. Both of these seemed random but were so practical and useful I really loved them.

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• I think gift baskets for showers are perfectly acceptable and great gifts. I love a good gift basket. I prefer to give a straight up gift off of the registry for the actual wedding. Just easier for me.
  • That's an awesome idea.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • Yeah! Your ideas are really nice. I also love to take and give give baskets. You can also include them in your wedding registry.  I like to buy gifts from registry as it makes our work stress free and also saves our tim
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"