Stay at Home Moms

Well. That sucked.

I took the kids to Safeway this morning. There weren't any huge carts for 3 kids in the parking lot. Usually, I put the babies in the stroller, have Lydia walk, and we go inside. I put the kids in the cart, put the stroller in the basket and take it back to my minivan. I decided to try having Fiona and Lydia walk in, all three of us holding hands, I was going to carry Anna because she's a runner. I've already experienced a few incidents with her attempting to run from me. Anyway, Anna and Lydia are in the third row of the minivan so I had to get them out first. We get out and go to the side where Fiona is. I unbuckle Fiona with one hand, holding Anna in my other arm, trying to minimize the amount of time she is standing outside. I put Anna on the ground, told Lydia to hold her hand, told Anna to hold Lydia's hand. Before I even took my hands off her, Anna was trying to get away and run! I only needed like 5 seconds, Fiona was unbuckled, I just needed to grab her and put her on the ground. I couldn't even do that. I had to hold Anna in one arm, reach in the minivan with the other arm to get Fiona and set Fiona down on the ground. Oh yeah, and Anna was squirming around, trying to get away from me and screaming the whole time. Thank goodness Fiona listens and held my hand and Lydia's hand and walked into the store.

Man, that sucked royally. I felt like I had lost control of Anna, I was afraid Fiona was going to try climbing out of the car seat since she was unbuckled and even though Lydia stays put when I tell her to, she's just a child and unpredictible so I was worried she'd get a wild hair up her butt and start acting out. In the parking lot of Safeway. I haven't been that scared in a long time. Why does Anna act like that? She'll get better, right?? Please tell me she will. I'm shocked by her craziness sometimes because Lydia and Fiona are so mellow.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Well. That sucked.

• Wow. I only have one, and he is plenty to juggle. I'm one of three kids, but we are far apart enough in age that I don't recall my mother having to juggle all three of us at a time like that. My brother would be in school and she would trade off childcare with another mother while she got errands done.

Does anyone in your area deliver groceries?

• imagefreezorburn:
    Wow. I only have one, and he is plenty to juggle. I'm one of three kids, but we are far apart enough in age that I don't recall my mother having to juggle all three of us at a time like that. My brother would be in school and she would trade off childcare with another mother while she got errands done.Does anyone in your area deliver groceries?

Oh, grocery delivery isn't necessary. I just should have done what I normally do when there aren't any carts in the parking lot.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry that sucked.  :(  DD1 was/is my difficult child.  I think we all have one.  We just learn how to adapt to them as we age.
  • I guess I could get flamed for this, but with juggling 3 small kids I'm just gonna put it out there. What about one of those harnesses that looks like a backpack? You could easily buckle it on Anna before putting her down, then take it off when she is safely in the cart in the store. Some people hate them, but it seems like safety is the biggest concern, like you said. Especially in a busy parking lot. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageArnegard:
    Sorry that sucked.nbsp; :nbsp; DD1 was/is my difficult child.nbsp; I think we all have one.nbsp; We just learn how to adapt to them as we age.

Aw man... you tryin' to tell me she won't get better? Not what I wanted to hear :::insert scared face:::
  • imageKateB1984:
    Is it maybe partly because she's the only one being carried? I know my DD almost 2 hates being carried because she wants to be big like her brothers now. She would be arching her back and screaming at that age, but did well walking with a very firm grip on her wrist so she couldn't pull away.nbsp;

Well, the babies are almost never allowed to walk through the parking lot. The only times I have let them is if I only have one baby or one baby and Lydia. I don't think Anna feels left out of the fun of walking. I honestly think she's just a runner. She's my little dare devil, she's not afraid of anything. Scares the sh!t out of me.
  • imageTheGriffs:
    I guess I could get flamed for this, but with juggling 3 small kids I'm just gonna put it out there. What about one of those harnesses that looks like a backpack? You could easily buckle it on Anna before putting her down, then take it off when she is safely in the cart in the store. Some people hate them, but it seems like safety is the biggest concern, like you said. Especially in a busy parking lot.nbsp;

Oh, I am NOT opposed to getting a backpack leash thing if I need to. For now though, she'll sit in the stroller or cart fine. I'm hoping that lasts for a while longer. I'll just have to keep practicing letting Anna walk when Fiona and/or Lydia are at home. NOT when I have all three kids out by myself.
  • imageMrs.Greg:
    imageTheGriffs:
    I guess I could get flamed for this, but with juggling 3 small kids I'm just gonna put it out there. What about one of those harnesses that looks like a backpack? You could easily buckle it on Anna before putting her down, then take it off when she is safely in the cart in the store. Some people hate them, but it seems like safety is the biggest concern, like you said. Especially in a busy parking lot.nbsp;
    Oh, I am NOT opposed to getting a backpack leash thing if I need to. For now though, she'll sit in the stroller or cart fine. I'm hoping that lasts for a while longer. I'll just have to keep practicing letting Anna walk when Fiona and/or Lydia are at home. NOT when I have all three kids out by myself.

A backpack harness and one of those hook things (are they called caribeaner s?) have made shopping so much easier. DD refuses to sit in the cart but this allows me to keep track of her and shop. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imageMrs.Greg:
    imageTheGriffs:

A backpack harness and one of those hook things (are they called caribeaner s?) have made shopping so much easier. DD refuses to sit in the cart but this allows me to keep track of her and shop. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I only have 1 so take this with a grain of salt, but he's a runner. The only thing that worked was letting him walk and continually reinforcing that he loses privileges if he runs away. IMO they're never going to learn to walk in a parking lot holding your hand unless you give them a chance to learn to do it.

I used to put the monkey backpack on DS but instead of just holding the leash I held the leash with his hand. That way he learned to walk next to me but if he tried to run he couldn't get anywhere. Once he stopped trying to run I would try it without the leash. Eventually he just learned to stay with me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCnAmom:
    imageTheGriffs:
    I guess I could get flamed for this, but with juggling 3 small kids I'm just gonna put it out there. What about one of those harnesses that looks like a backpack? You could easily buckle it on Anna before putting her down, then take it off when she is safely in the cart in the store. Some people hate them, but it seems like safety is the biggest concern, like you said. Especially in a busy parking lot. 
    I'm all about a backpack leash for a runner. I'll just sit here and get myself charred right along with you. ;)

I'm right there with you guys. People who have never had a runner just don't get it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageQueSyrah:

imageCnAmom:
    imageTheGriffs:
    I guess I could get flamed for this, but with juggling 3 small kids I'm just gonna put it out there. What about one of those harnesses that looks like a backpack? You could easily buckle it on Anna before putting her down, then take it off when she is safely in the cart in the store. Some people hate them, but it seems like safety is the biggest concern, like you said. Especially in a busy parking lot. 
    I'm all about a backpack leash for a runner. I'll just sit here and get myself charred right along with you. ;)

I'm right there with you guys. People who have never had a runner just don't get it. 

Haha! Glad I've got friends to go down with. We have one because we took DD to Disney World at about 1 1/2. There was no way she was going to stay in the stroller the whole time, who would want to? But there was also no way I was just going to hope she'd always hold my hand. We are firm on hand holding as well and she loses walking privileges when she won't stay with me as well, but there are just some circumstances that aren't worth the possible "natural consequences" so to say.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageLalaMama81:
    I feel like dd2 is a bit of a runner, at least way more than dd1 was, but still, what you describe sounds normal for a toddler. I agree with que, you have to let them walk in order to get to a place where they can listen. Also, why don't you just use a regular cart to get them inside and switch once there? That seems way easier than your stroller method.

Yeah, I suppose I could just pile them into a regular cart. I just never really thought to. When we go to Costco and there aren't any carts in the parking lot, I use my stroller method because I have no other choice.
  • imageCurlingRocks:
    Oof!nbsp; You've had a rough week.nbsp; It has to get better at some point.

Funny you say that because right before we went to Safeway, I met an insurance estimator at a body shop. They are going to fix my bumper there and he gave me a check right then for 529 bucks to cover the cost of the car seats for my kids. I didn't spend that much, and still won't when I buy the babies different seats and sell the ones I already bought to my friend. He was going off the price of the ones I had prior to the accident. That was awesome!!
  • ta78ta78 member
    DS was a runner at the twins age.. he would just take off and ignore me yelling stop. He has gotten much better, but it just took time. Letting him walk.. force him to hold my hand and carry him when he doesn't listen or stick him in the cart if available. Now I make him stand on the white line and touch the car until I get DD out. Going through stores is still hit and miss at times, but it does get easier.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• id012id012 member
    Ds is 2, hes a runner. He is not afraid of a damn thing either. He also unbuckles him self from the cart and will jump out!
    Shopping makes me sweat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"